The Basket Case Thread

MotorPsycho

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm starting this thread about the Basket Case I currently own.

An update: new plugs a few weeks ago, cleaned up electricals and put in new, updated fuse blocks, changed the oil today and oil filter today (it was black as tar and the filter was a complete mess), drained the gas and replaced with 93 and a little SeaFoam, new clear fuel line and filter, checked the petcock filter, replaced the vacuum line from the petcock to the motor, new air filters, recharged the battery, disassembled and cleaned the carbs...

That's all I can think of right now. I'll post pictures soon...

So, I guess since I've already cleaned the carbs once, would it be a good idea to take them off and clean them again? Probably wouldn't hurt, I guess, since they were so cruddy.

Just make sure that you probe every small passage way with a very fine wire even those underneith the float needles.I have faith I know you will get it running :)

Just make sure that you probe every small passage way with a very fine wire even those underneith the float needles.I have faith I know you will get it running :)

EUREKA! We have ignition, Houston! I took the carbs off, disassembled them, cleaned the heck out of them again, and put them back on the back. Put my battery back in, and prayed to deity of my choice. Turned the switch on, turned the fuel on, and hit the button. No dice...at first. I went and got my can of started fluid and squirted one little shot in one carburetor. Hit the start button again. FIRED RIGHT UP! I revved it a few times and let the idle drop back down. Then I let go of the throttle...WE HAVE IDLE!

Never died after that. I cut it off, and tried it again. Success! I cut it off, waited a second, and hit the kick start. Fired right up!

Now I just have to do some adjusting to get the idle right. When I put the air filters on, it started idling a little faster, and when I revved it, the idle dropped really slowly. Plus, there was some popping coming out of the exhaust.

Now, my last two projects so I can get some seat time: chain and tires. Of course, I have to get it inspected, but I don't think that will be an issue.
:thumbsup::D:thumbsup::D

Back