The dreaded "extra washer" (pic)

JaredK

82 DOHC
Reaction score
So I took apart my carbs this evening to give them a good cleaning. When putting everything back together, I found two extra washers. Actually, one washer and one O-ring, both the same size. For the life of me I can't figure out where they came from.

They're about the size of the washer that goes onto the screws that hold the spring seat for the spring just above the jet needle. That screw is on the far right in the picture.

Where do they belong? Also, why is there only one of each?

Side note: It's an 82 Maxim (DOHC) - are the carbs are a little different than the SOHC ones? Also, I was only able to take 1 out of the two starter plungers out (part of the enrichment circuit). Getting the other plunger would have meant pulling the two carbs apart, and I didn't want to do that.

Attachments

• IMG_20140701_210614 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20140701_210614 (Medium).jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 123
I'm going to guess that the washer and o-ring are from one of the Pilot screws. The spring slides on the pilot screw, then the washer, and finally the o-ring. Then the entire assembly gets installed into the carb body.

I'm going to guess that the washer and o-ring are from one of the Pilot screws. The spring slides on the pilot screw, then the washer, and finally the o-ring. Then the entire assembly gets installed into the carb body.

That'll do it.

Problem is, now I just have the one set. I must've blasted the other one out while cleaning.:doh:

Are they hard to come by? Could I possibly run the bike without them on one side without problems?

Grab a bright light and a magnifying glass and take a close look in each pilot screw hole. They may still be stuck in the bottom of one. You will want them installed to prevent air leaks or the pilot screw vibrating loose. They are tiny, but important!

Grab a bright light and a magnifying glass and take a close look in each pilot screw hole. They may still be stuck in the bottom of one. You will want them installed to prevent air leaks or the pilot screw vibrating loose. They are tiny, but important!

Shoot. Looks like they're lost...

Any alternatives? I guess I could use some anti-seize on the threads to create a sort of seal? Or loctite so it doesn't vibrate loose?

Back