The mystery HOLE!

Inflict

XS400 Member
Reaction score
IMAG0886.jpg

Guys, you see that sexy looking K&N filter in the middle of the image?

Well on my bike, I have no filter, no mouting, just a tube sticking up with a hole in it...

Any idea where I can get this mount and a filter to fit it?

Much appreciated! :)

I am not sure where to get this sideways mount, but as an FYI the standard small breather filters that every auto parts store seems to stock fit vertically if you're running 2 pod filters.

The mystery hole is just a crank case breather. The stock setup has a tube connecting it back into the plastic intake manifold as a way to recycle some gases and probably reduce emissions. Systems like these usually do not increase performance, they are designed to pollute less and, of course, vent the case. So, sticking a breather filter on there will probably increase performance by some imperceptible amount :)

Just Curious what size are your filters? I know there are like three sizes, just haven't gotten around to measuring mine yet.

Crankcase ventilation is required for all 4-stroke engines. Routing the combustible fumes back into the intake is a good thing. Not only does it reduce pollution, but any oil vapours will help lubricate whatever they are deposited on. And since the fumes are combustible, and predominately generated under heavy load, they will slightly richen the mixture when it needs to be rich.

Applying a vacuum to the crankcase will do a number of positive things. Any moisture will evaporate at a much lower temperature. Any bubbles or foaming of the oil will pop. And most importantly, the piston rings will be forced to seal tighter, reducing blow-by gasses.

Just a heads up on buying that reed valve from MikesXs - pretty difficult to fit. Can't really figure out how, so if anyone has, or knows how to fit it - post here!

^^I'm sure it comes w/ instructions...
On the subject of "mystery holes"! I have a little hole/nipple that is recessed in the front of my right jug/cylinder head beside my valve plug, front by exhaust. What in the hell is that?! Is it a vac, should it be plugged or filtered??

picture?

I had a hole somewhere there, where my tachometer cable used to be. About the size of a wine cork (that's what's in mine now :laugh: )

This ones e real small nipple, Im assuming a hose went to it. Looks like a vac line of some sort. Ill get a pic later tonight. This forum is so difficult to upload pics to, can't do it on the app. That sucks.

The hole or nipple Im referring to is the tach mount. Problem is the shaft that spins and turns the cable is still in there, still spinning and spitting oil all over my engine. Can I get that out of there?? I can't plug it while its spinning.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 426
Crankcase ventilation is required for all 4-stroke engines. Routing the combustible fumes back into the intake is a good thing. Not only does it reduce pollution, but any oil vapours will help lubricate whatever they are deposited on. And since the fumes are combustible, and predominately generated under heavy load, they will slightly richen the mixture when it needs to be rich.

Applying a vacuum to the crankcase will do a number of positive things. Any moisture will evaporate at a much lower temperature. Any bubbles or foaming of the oil will pop. And most importantly, the piston rings will be forced to seal tighter, reducing blow-by gasses.

Thanks Dave! I've been wondering about this myself, it makes a lot more sense now.

If one did make a larger opening in the carb mount and connected the crankcase breather tube to it, then I'd bet the engine wouldn't run, or if it did it would try to suck the oil out of the engine.

I can't think of an easy way to make a PCV system for our bikes, so unless you can, I'd suggest just venting the fumes back into the carbs after the air filter(s) like the factory did.

Back