The New Guy From The Netherlands

Narratis

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and here to say hi, and tell my story!

I was born into a family of sidecarists, and have loved bikes since my first trip at one month old. Nowadays, as a student, my love for motorcycles doesn't get much attention, but I do my best.
About a year ago I bought my cousins XS400SE with MZ sidecar including about half a bike in spare parts.
Initially I was only interested in the sidecar, because the bike was wasting away, I hated its looks and it didn't seem worth restoring since there are so many better ones around.

(There's plants growing from the sidecar seat)
full

But then, one sunday afternoon, I got a text from my sister saying "Your bike burned down." I panicked a little, because not too long before buying the XS, I became the proud owner of a (now) classic NSU Fox from 1954. Luckily for me, it was the XS, not my prized Fox.
(just after the fire. It nearly set the garage aflame!)
full

(the carbs went missing... I've looked everywhere, but not a trace)
full

The NSU:
full

The burned Yamaha then ignited my imagination. It was a blank canvas for me to do with as I pleased. And so it happened.
My dad has been collecting bikes, cars, parts, stuff and junk for as long as I can remember, and never gets around to using it, so I decided that it was my fate to do so in his stead.
I soon began dismantling the bike and cleaning off the mess left by the fire.
Now, using various parts from my dad's colelction, I'm building my franken-bike Cafe-Racer

A few progress pics:
full

(yes, it's a very long tank :p )
full

Summary of work:
  • Stripped frame and fitted a polyesther aftermarket tank from a 70s 500cc 2-stroke Suzuki
  • Adjusted some original parts to accomodate new front shocks and wheel from that same suzuki.
  • Cleaned up engine and replaced burned parts with parts from my donor engine
  • Built a seat out of polyesther (unfinished still)
  • Installed engine, and some electronics (no pictures available :( )
  • Tried to clean carbs, broke one in the process. Rebuilding as we speak.

I think I'll start a thread to keep you posted on my build, and post some pics.
I hope that will keep me motivated to keep working on the project :bike:

Back