Throttle cable woes...won't idle with adjusted cable attached. HELP!

Myke Nytemare

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, trying to get my bike on the road to register it (have to ride it to DMV here in FL to get tag/plate).

The original throttle cable was damaged/separated where it met the "90 degree metal sleeve" near the right handlebar controls, so no matter how I adjusted it, I couldn't get it right and the bike would idle high and not come back down quickly after revving. (I sprayed starter fluid to ensure I don't have a vacuum leak).

Since my starter doesn't work, I found a "kick only" throttle assembly with a decent looking cable on eBay. I attached it and more of the same!!!! The bike revs even higher when I kick it over and I have to immediately shut it down. Remove the cable and it idles GREAT; starts on one kick and idles fine!

I have lubed the cable with machine oil (got it to come out the other end) and visually it looks fine...and I have loosened the adjustment at the handlebar about as far as it can go. What did I miss? Should I get a brand new cable?

Anyone have any advice?

If you have loosened the cable as far is it will go and it's still opening the butterfly valve, then you don't have many other options other than getting a proper cable. Unless you use OEM components(such as the throttle), cables will never be one size fits all. It's best to build your own(or stay stock). I get my cable parts at the local mountain bike store, and the end fittings from Flanders. Flanders has everything you'd ever need, just have to do a little measuring. You other option is to measure everything up and have a place like motion pro make one to the proper length.

If you are set on keeping the parts you bought, you can modify the cable if you have enough excess length. You would need to get those elusive proper measurements, then remove a cable end, remove inner cable, reduce the outer jacket length down(effectively lengthening the inner cable), add a ferule on the end, re-solder the cable end on, and you are back in business.

Thanks...something must be off with the cable I have...maybe the measurements for 78 (where the parts supposedly came from) are slightly different than my 77?

I'll look to getting one made then..with your advice, it definitely sounds like I have the wrong cable.

You should be able to tell if there is tension on the throttle cable when the throttle is released. Is there? There should not be any and there should be a little slack.

Im going over the cable where it is attached inside the stock grip/assembly and even where it snaps into the bracket on the carb. Seems like its always under slight tension :-( I picked up an OEM cable from ebay for $13 just to be done with this and get to riding. I thought it was me at first, but something must be up with the cable.

Back