Throttle response

Herr_man

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey!
I have a question about throttle response. When I snap the throttle to give a quick gas it takes literally seconds for the engine to go back to idling even though the throttle itself rolls back immediately.
But I am used to more modern bikes, so I don't know what to expect. Or what can be done about it.

Thanks everyone!

Lean idle mixture (pilot screw adjustment) or vacuum leaks causing a lean idle mixture are the common causes.

That said, our engines are not super light race engines. They will take a bit to drop back down to a steady idle.

Lean idle mixture (pilot screw adjustment) or vacuum leaks causing a lean idle mixture are the common causes.

That said, our engines are not super light race engines. They will take a bit to drop back down to a steady idle.

The idle screw is now set so the engine idles in a comfortable level when warm. Should I still adjust it to something else? I will have to research what the whole Vacuum leak means:)

Most people find that a slightly richer idle mixture offers smoother running. This is adjusted using the pilot screws. Vacuum leaks are usually found around the rubber intake manifolds when they degrade. But any seal or joint is a potential problem spot. The carb throttle shaft seals are often overlooked.

Dave

Our bikes dont have the quick snap back down on the throttle speed compared to newer bikes.Just got get used to it.I know I expected the same.

Are the rpms falling for "seconds" or is the tach hanging at any particular rpm before it falls? Without a video it is hard to say what is too long. I'd have to see to be sure! I agree though, this motorcycle takes longer than any of my newer ones to return to idle.

Back