Time to get to work

NewHavenMike

1976 XS360C
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Goodies have arrived. Pretty much a completely new ignition system...

Very very excited!

Attachments

• IMG_0076.JPG
    IMG_0076.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 150
I dont know why im so confused about this right now.. the instructions are pretty straight forward.

I cannot get a spark. My battery was a bit low and i have it on the charger now. I connected the green/white wires from the advancer to each of the black wires from the coil. Red wire to the power supply going to the coils, and black to ground.

I hope its just my battery is low and thats why no spark. Im confused because both wires from the coils have power when i get a reading on the meter to ground.

Sensor wires all done up right?
Possible the coil wires are swapped left/right?

Hope it works out.

Ok so turns out i had the coil wires reversed and the battery was dead. I think my battery was reading 10.5-11 volts before i charged it. It started. Now my issue is getting the timing right. I could get the left side perfect, but the right was very close to TDC. I tried moving the pc board for the right but there wasnt enough adjustment. Its in a ridable state now but i ran out of daylight to adjust timing. Still working out idle issues where it will idle high and if i turn the idle screw out it will dump to a stall. The idle issue is driving me nuts

Man this ignition system makes a huge difference. I can idle the bike at like 500 rpm it doesnt quit... I got the timing for each cylinder pretty close. Its not perfect but its very close.

So I thought Id do another spray test around the carbs to look for leaks.. I think I found one. Right at the shaft seals, I sprayed some carb cleaner and it just stalled out. I started it and tried again and same thing. Went to the other side where the return spring is and it stalled on the side.. I think its in intermittent leak because my idle will be high sometimes and low to a stall. I know the butterfly shafts have slight left/right play. I think the shaft settles differently every time I let off the gas and thats why im all over. I have the idle contained under 2500 but I can stumble to a stall if I dont gas it. IF I turn the idle up it revs too high and stays up. Ordering new rubber now..

Back