Timing Cover Removal??

maniac1886

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I need to check the valves on my 81 Special 2. So I need to take the timing cover off but I dont understand what to do. I know there's two screws holding it in place anfd I have the screw in the front off, but the one in the back sits in a hole and some kind of plug in front of it. I thought it was a broken bolt at first but it is shown in bikebandit.

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/1981-yamaha-xs400-xs400sh-cylinder-head/o/m147126sch227270

Need to get part #22 out, so I can unbolt #24, and remove #21. How do I remove part #22? It is a flat metal surface...

To check/adjust your valves all you need to remove it the tappet covers and the four bolt cover that says yamaha on the left side of the motor. Your bike has an electronic ignition and unless you need to replace a cam seal or take apart the top end that cover won't need to come off. To remove the plug just drill it till the plug starts to catch the bit and it will pullout.

Ok ill try that. Maybe its a DOHC thing but im used to pulling a rocker cover off to check valves. We had the whole cover off except for that one bolt before i realized i was doing it wrong. its all bolted donw now but its leaving oil from under that cover so now i have to take it off. =/ thanks for the info, ill let you know how it goes.

That cover will need to be sealed with either three bond or yamabond 4 case sealer. Some people use auto RTV goo but I would recommend the other two. You may need a new cam seal. There are plenty of setting valves and timing threads on here with info that the manual don't cover. :wink2:

welp.. I drilled out the plug, but the screw behind it is froze up and now stripped.... =( The only thing i can think to do is drill through the head of the screw.... any suggstions?

They do make bits for removing stripped heads but it would be cheaper and quicker to drill off the head. Just keep it in the center of the screw:wink2:

yah i dont have an easy out here with me. got it drilled through. still trying to get the brass plug out so i can put a new screw in it. stupid rookie mistake took up the whole day. shoulda been done with this thing a loong time ago

:laugh: I have had those days. Best thing to do is take your time so not to bugger anything else. :)

So is this the blind plug that is mentioned in the manual? The one that is supposed to be drilled and tapped for removal? I am working on tear down for a top end rebuild and was left somewhat confused for a while. What is really getting me though, is the part about removing the alt. cover before removing the cam tensioner......

It's the pickup coil cover on the 80-82 sohc bikes that has a brass plug over one of the bolts. You carefully drill it out without messing up the head on the screw behind it.

The chances of this plug pulling out are pretty slim based on what I have read and what I experienced today. In the end I used a 3/8 bit on variable speed drill and slowly worked my way through the brass plug. I say slowly because you are trying not to damage the phillips style screw under it. The plus is thicker than you'd expect, but once you drill through enough to see the screw head, the screw underneath comes out easily and you can then tap the remainder of the plug out. Thank goodness for the forums search bar- I hope this update saves someone else the time also!

It's definitely a good investment to buy a good quality impact screwdriver ($30.00) and a small ball peen hammer for it. It will make case screw removal work every time without messing up the heads. Jap bikes use JAS standard screw heads, the angle of the Phillips slot in the head is different than the English standard, so a hardware store screwdriver will bugger them up. I saw the plug on my cover, figured it was some kind of tamper proofing. Probably to stop someone from advancing the timing.

The recommended method of removing the screw cover is to drill the cover, thread the hole, screw in a slide hammer and remove the plug. The screw underneath is clean and easy. It was the whole tap and die and slide hammer that I was missing. Instead I drilled through the cap until my screwdriver could access the screw under neath and remove the entire cap, from there punch out the plug was a simple task.

Back