Timing issue, runs best advanced 30 degrees past LF!

Supercoyote

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently installed a pamco ignition, got a new battery and am working on getting it timed but am running into very strange issues. The biggest one is that at idle, it runs the strongest at around 30 degrees advanced. My knowledge of timing is limited, but given that the pamco rotor can be installed two ways, both 180 degrees off from eachother, could my bike theoretically run if my coils were switched and the rotor was flipped upside-down? I don't understand how else to explian that so much advance makes it run better. My springs on my mechanical advance are opening at the seemingly right time, and everything else has been checked over and over again. I even pulled my flywheel to see if the points and electronic ignition rotors have the same timing marks. Has anyone else had this problem? Or does it make sense from a mechanical point of view that an engine would artificially run better at idle with more advance, until it holes a piston?

I should note, that I also pulled the valve cover, and triple checked that my cam is timed properly

EDIT - I've been scouring the forums and someone solved their similar issue by flipping their cam sprocket around. Should the horizontal marks on the sprocket face the ignition side or the kickstarter side? I had mine facing the ignition side because that seems like the most obvious place to have them orientated

Another update,

I tried switching the cam sprocket around to potentially make up for a bit of possible stretch in the chain. Still off. I was going to try my 360 cam to see if the came are timed differently, but I don't know if that's possible given the rotors are the exact same.

I'm about ready to give up on this bike for the season

At idle, theres 10 degrees advance. Ill be getting my Pamco with the E advancer in a couple days, being shipped now. From what it seems, the Pamco is pretty much a bolt on product. Mechanically, you shouldnt have to change anything and I would never change the order of anything inside the engine ever...

When you set the timing, you need to make sure the the left cylinder is in its compression stroke toward TDC. You can verify this by checking that the in/out valve rockers are loose. Read what the bike manual says about setting timing and then read the instructions on the Pamco xs400 site.

I know Ive had trouble setting my points to open at the right time, it always seemed like it was wrong and way off. I managed to get it to work, then it didnt work when I messed with it. Then I had enough of points and ordered the Pamco..

I still have the mechanical advancer. I had rebuilt the engine but it seems following the advice of my Clymer is getting me to where I am now. Unless if it's normal for a motorcycle to idle stronger without the prescribed ignition timing afforded by dynamically lining up the LF mark with a timing light, something else is wrong and I can't figure out what. Could anyone with a bike in proper running order help me verify that that isn't in fact normal to have a better idle with a "wrong" ignition plate setting?

Back