timing or fuel deliver?

peebuck

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have just my bike back together after having a nightmare with a impoperly instaled kick start. (The mount inside the crank case shattered)

After setting the timming to what I believe is correct the bike will not start I checked to see if the spark plugs were wet. Spark spark plugs are bone dry. Carburetors have a good amount of fuel in the bowls.

I don't know much about carburetors what kind of adjustment can be made to put more fuel in a cylinder? :umm:

Xs400e

Try a couple squirts of starting fluid through the carb throat. If it starts up you are most likely not getting any fuel: either a carb or petcock problem (or no fuel?). Even if it is carbs it would probably be a good idea to set the timing with a timing light after you've fiddled with it.

Yea I alredy rebuilt petcoc and its functions well. and there is fuel in the fuel line in the bowls the carburetor. I will try the starter fluied

My thoughts was jumping to the Coils, since you bikes has points/condenser. You have a few more things to go wrong than the just the carb. One test I liked doing was to make sure the Float worked, and that was to drain fuel out the bottom of the bowl, With a tube attached to the bottom float check/bowl drain. Was this running before you broke the kick start journal? You just might be a candidate for this Forums favorite Moto!
Clean your carbs
Joking aside, The mechanics of it, If it was fine before you broke it, it should be fine afterwards, The electrical stuff that is. The carb, if you didn't make a vested interest in ensuring the fuel bowls were empty, then you will need to clean your carbs. Fuel has this habit of turning into a jelly, if its not touched. This jelly then eventually turns to dust/cake. so will your Brake master cylinder if you have one.

So thought one, If coils where not touched, and it was working fine prior to repair, Check
2. Points/Condenser Check manual for appropriate checks
3. Carbs, Start on the Tech tab. On the very top of this Page, is everything you need know about how to clean. then once your done looking at that info, on the very bottom of every page, of every thread, is 5 more threads. One of them may be more in-tuned with your situation. So please take a look.

Second moto, put a Inline fuel filter on that line
Good luck

Tobie'

Yea bike ran, she has an inline filter and i sent the carbs to a machnic when I pulled the motor it was really cheep he cleaned and adjusted them but the flots we set wrong so I readjusted them. I replaced both points cause the springs were kinda weak and the contact serfaces we worn. Now I'm trying to button her up.

All Right! Seems you should have the basics covered! Most of us have done our own carb cleaning. Usually the next question is Which is cleaning method isbetter, So hopefully your buddy got it. Its seldom fixed on the first run, so :beer: :cheers: Good luck! :bike:

Back