Tipping danger?

nitrofish1

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm about to take the wheels off my bike to put some new tires on there. I'm going to put the bike on a concrete block below the engine and frame to support it, is there any reason that the bike would tip off of there after removing both the wheels? Need to make sure she isn't going to fall over on me.

Once on the center stand have someone elevate the front just enough so the front wheel is feee and put blocks under the engine. There's still a risk of it falling left or right if you're not being gentle while removing or installing the wheels. Some people put hooks on the walls of their garage and strip the bike to them so its held up right.

Posted via Mobile

I had an interesting idea for those of us that do not have a center-stand. Buy a steel rod a few feet long that closely matches the diameter of the center-stand holes. Elevate the rear tire by rolling it onto a 2x4 or whatever you have lying around. Shove the rod through the center stand holes. Put jack stands under the rod on each side. Remove the 2x4 and presto; you've got an ultra stable stand for less than 10 bucks.

I've never tried this, but I think it would work. Without taking a look I am not sure if the rod would clear the exhaust/pegs though, but a short one might work too.

I'm not too worried about it once I get both tires off, but just that I didn't know if itd want to tip over while i have just one tire off. But i'll have a friend helping me so that will be good.

I use straps over the joists in my garage to the handlebars with soft ties and one on the back when I feel in jeopardy of being hurt.

I use straps over the joists in my garage to the handlebars with soft ties and one on the back when I feel in jeopardy of being hurt.

let me know what my next step should be daddio, need to start on it. gonna get it cleaned up then i may need guidance on the direction for the tracker build.

Back