Tire shopping

Man what is the deal with these tire prices,Im trying to find a dual sport tire front 100/90/18 for between $60-$70 no dang variety to choose from but plent of rear tires.All im getting is the internet run around.:banghead:

Even with my local shops $90+ dollars is average which in turn they have to order from another supplier which in turn I have pay their shipping cost and then the time.

Yeah, I called my local shop and they quoted me $260 to get tires and mount them. I think I can save at least $100 by doing it myself. Hopefully I don't screw it up. ;)

Im going try doing my tire myself also with luck everything will cooperate.Then theres the balancing.
I spoke to a rider with 350,000 kms on his bike (not an xs400) the other day about this very subject.
He always mounts his own new tires. He balances then using 2 steel jack stands.
He said new tires come with a yellow mark on them from the factory. This apparently denotes the heavy spot. One should mount the tire so the yellow mark is opposite the heavy spot on the wheel so that the amount of balancing weights needed is minimized.

Usually the heavy spot on the wheel is at the valve stem, but he confirms this by putting the wheel on the jacks without the tire to be sure.

Once the tire is on with heavy spots opposite, he sets the axle on the stands again and does the static balance thing with the weights. When the wheel settles randomly it's good to go.

In my professional opinion (as an aircraft mechanic trained in dynamic balancing of very expensive props and helicopter rotors), static balancing is only a starting point. Once the tire is spinning everything changes. Dynamic balancing (on a machine) is the only way to get a near perfect balance.

Or one could use something like Dyna Beads. A quick online search will find many opinions varying from very positive to absolute hatred of products like this. I have them in my tires and have no issues with any sort of vibration. Your opinion or personal experiences may differ from mine, and I don't care. :) They work for me.

I'm pretty sure the yellow mark denotes the lightest spot on the tire and should be mounted by the valve stem.
Thanks. I meant to mention that I couldn't remember if it was heavy or light just that it was one or the other. :wink2:
The method works great once you get that straight.

In my professional opinion (as an aircraft mechanic trained in dynamic balancing of very expensive props and helicopter rotors), static balancing is only a starting point. Once the tire is spinning everything changes. Dynamic balancing (on a machine) is the only way to get a near perfect balance...
During the discussion, I raised this exact point and several people, including a bike mechanic confirmed that high speed spin balancing was how one got perfection (fine for racers) but that driving old bikes at the speeds we do, it was completely unnecessary. According to them the perfectly balanced wheel and tire goes out of perfect balance in as little as 100 kms anyway, so it is money wasted if one is paying someone to do it.

I have no way of knowing one way or the other since I have never felt any kind of vibration to attribute to balancing or anything else.

I know the Dina beads got brought before and I looked into that option.Probaly the best balancing system out there but your going to pay for it.

Back