Tire sizing options...

joshga

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody today I have a question. On my xs400 the tire that is on the front is a 3.0 s18 and the rear is 120-90-16. what size tires could I change to and still fit the wheels? All I need to know is what will fit the wheels... Im already changing fenders and stuff so thats no worry. I know the tire diameter cant be changed but what can be different? any help would be great!

You can fit a 130 on the back if you remove the chain guard and maybe a little shimming with the brake stay arm ( at least last what I had to do). It was what came on my bike when I got it and it was a new tire. I did go back the the stock size because it fits better and weighs less for reduced rotating mass. The front will take up to a 120/90-18. But with bigger heavier tires it will not perform as well as the stock set up. But if you are going for looks then have at it:)

Are you trying to keep the vintage look or update to newer tire designs. A couple vintage-looking options are the DUNLOP K81 and HEIDENAU K34 and K36.

If anyone knows of any 17 inch rear spoked wheels for sale with a drum brake that wouldn't be to much hassle to mount up to this bike let me know!

Back