to all SOHC owners getting depressed about a clutch pushrod oil leak

lcgtr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
When i was pulling apart the dohc cam engine i was given heres what the factory did to fix the problem

IMAG0808.jpg

SOHC vs DOHC both the same size and length

Is there where theres a cable going through the top of the engine?I notice on my engine that I have leak on the top of the engine.Theres a cable like what im triing to decribe where the leak is.I know my head gasket is leaking a little but nothing serious.

The leak Im refering too is from the clutch pushrod seal behind the cover you are speaking of, the oil your seeing is probably due to your head gasket

I notice on my engine that I have leak on the top of the engine.Theres a cable like what im triing to decribe where the leak is.
That is the Tach OD seal.
93102-06254-00 Tach OD Seal $4.60

So I am in the boat of needing to seal up the leaking clutch rod oring. So does the Basket tee pusher, need a o-ring for that indentation? I am suspecting that will keep more oil out, but the oil channels will keep sending oil to that part of the rod. (Gasket on the drive sprocket area) Drewpy is encouraging me to split the case just a bit, to fit the new one inthere. (not in that many words) I like the idea of packing in a bit of RTV into that space, with out blocking all the oil ports. So I guess I am going to have to order an o-ring for that DOHC model.

Thanks Tobie

Okay, so I can not buy it new.
16___12R-16356-00-00___ROD, PUSH 1____$6.78___ $3.80 1__PART OBSOLETE
17___93210-06632-00____O-RING_________$2.28_____$1.57 1

Okay, so the Basket pusher is out of the question, New that is. I had to go to the 1983, XS400RK to find this one. So its the 82/83 400 J/RJ and R/RK. Item 17 is the o-ring.

Tobie
ps info from
http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-12R-16357-00-00.html

And there is no oil feed to the clutch pushrod. It gets oil splashed up from the clutch. There is no need to split cases to change the seals, just drop the side covers

Back