To Pod, or not to Pod? That is my question!

Sorry to bump this one again but i was wondering if we could still get some pics of your modified airbox Dave? The thread seemed to have drifted away from your airbox and I'm really curious to see how that chop went...

Sorry, no pics were taken, and it is installed at the moment. There isn't much left of it now. I had to remove most of it when I did my suspension swap. Only the sides and top are left. The front, back and bottom are gone. And I'm making plans to eliminate the rest of it! Just need to build a battery box and mount for the rear brake switch.

aw shucks wouldve liked to see how that looked. May have to do the same thing a ways off in the future when its time to rejet with new exhaust. Could you explain a bit more on how you chopped it shape-wise when you made the initial pod switch?

It was fairly easy to do. If you look at your airbox you will see a seam that runs around the front by the frame. With the seat, side covers, tank and air tubes off, I cut on the forward side of that seam and cleaned it up with a rotary tool (Dremel). I put rags over the carb inlets to keep any debris out. There were 2 layers of plastic that had to be removed. I think it took an hour or 2.

Great, thanks for getting back! Really appreciate the know-how. It's a ways off but I'll probably pull the trigger on this when I have to rejet with an exhaust swap. Going to be a while though :shrug: being broke sucks

Uhhh don't know what I was searching for, but i searched for pods again and it was the first thread sorry 'bout that.... So i have a pod question that I haven't seen posted in any of the pod threads: it seems that everyone who uses them puts the pods directly on the carbs removing the intake with crossover. Is there a performance reason for this or is it asthetics?

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Looks, simplicity, economics. Often people are missing parts, or the intake pipes are damaged. I'd suggest keeping the intake pipe and the crankcase vent if yours is in good shape. It simplifies everything and ensures the airflow into the carbs is no worse than the engineers at Yamaha designed it. You may need to fabricate a support for the filters, but that shouldn't be difficult.

My Maxim, being DOHC, never had the intake pipe that incorporates the crankcase vent. I'm keeping my eyes open for a decent example in the hopes of making it fit. I hate having the crankcase vent going to the air, and smelling the fumes.

Thanks for the reply. I did some reading a while ago on intake length on carburated vs. Fuel injected cars... i'll have to read up again to remeber excatly, but longer intakes help with low end with carbs i think. My intake is in pretty good shape and i think I'll use it!:D

Posted via Mobile

To add to this, I recently made some intake stacks from ABS pipe. They are 60mm long, just like the factory rubber ones. I mounted my pod filters on them.

All I can say is that it is a totally different bike now. From just off idle all the way to wide open at 10,000 RPM. Quieter, but still much louder than stock. Smoother. Better throttle response. Much stronger in the mid RPM's which makes powering out of traffic circles really fun. :) I wish I'd made them when I first installed the pod filters.

I'm going to try to incorporate the crankcase breather into the stacks in the near future.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

What brand if pods are you running? I keep looking and finding a tone of noname pods available, but do any seem better than others? Is there a brand on these things at all?

Posted via Mobile

I need a setup like what dave has.My airtubes have been torn to pieces.I cut them up the other day trying to make the set of cheap emgos I bought.Now Im still shopping for a decent pod K & N type pod filter maybe something thats oval shaped instead of cone.I may go with the ones from Mikes XS or the ones I found on Parts N More.

Well just maybe I have a salution for my emgos.I cut off the 1 st inch of airtube on each side.The pods being 54mm the tubing went inside the pod like a glove fit in nice and tight with smooth sealing surface around the inner circumferance.I clamped the tube on the carbs so that the opening of the filter sits back about 3/4 carbs.This should give plenty of clearance with no obstruction from the inner lip.For now just temporary till I can afford a good a set of pod filters.

Back