To Pod, or not to Pod? That is my question!

I would say that the pilot circuit is dirty or plugged in some way. Give the carbs a good cleaning and use compressed air to blow every hole in them. By saying compressed air I mean 125-150 lbs of it not the little cans for computers:wink2:

I would say that the pilot circuit is dirty or plugged in some way.

I'd totally agree if I hadn't just cleaned everything. I was thinking about the sliders on the top of the carbie but still I can't believe the problem is so HEAVY just at idle. I'll check again for some small holes but last time I did everything seemed perfect

I would say that the pilot circuit is dirty or plugged in some way. Give the carbs a good cleaning and use compressed air to blow every hole in them. By saying compressed air I mean 125-150 lbs of it not the little cans for computers:wink2:
:thumbsup: Lots of air!! What model bike do you have? Any pics?

I would say that the pilot circuit is dirty or plugged in some way.

I agree. Remove, disassemble, and clean your carbs. Then clean them again! Test each and every passage with compressed air from both directions.

If that doesn't fix it, you will probably need larger pilot jets.

Dave

pilot jet, it's the one running things at idle
are the floats set to where they need to be? carbs clean? they're never clean, so clean 'em:D

pilot jet, it's the one running things at idle
are the floats set to where they need to be? carbs clean? they're never clean, so clean 'em:D

I just put a link to a video showing how the bike runs when not hot.....I'll try clean the carbies again but why should it starts and runs when it's cold if the problem is inside the jets?

That might be a tci problem. I have heard that will happen if they are going bad. Another thing if you are lean the bike could be overheating causing it to run bad.

sweet bike Nuno, throw some more pics of it when you get a chance:thumbsup:

how are the carb boots? any cracks? did you try the spray test?

The pilot screw can only do so much, 4-5 turns is too much IMO, up the pilot jet at that point
I have some small baffles in my pipe, and even mine needed a 45 pilot (42.5 stock)

sweet bike Nuno, throw some more pics of it when you get a chance:thumbsup:

how are the carb boots? any cracks? did you try the spray test?

The pilot screw can only do so much, 4-5 turns is too much IMO, up the pilot jet at that point
I have some small baffles in my pipe, and even mine needed a 45 pilot (42.5 stock)

no, no cracks. Yes I just ordered new pilot jets and hope that will help.
It's a shame, the bike was almost ready to roll :(

just put a 52.5 pilot in mine as it was still too hot running. better now but has a blip in the transition stage (4k rpm)

Don't forget to check or replace the pilot screw o-rings. If the pilot screws have little effect on the idle mixture, the o-rings are probably not sealing and allowing air to enter, rather than drawing fuel from the pilot jets.

Dave

Hey guys, problem solved.
Funny, it was not directly related to the carbies....yeah, they were dirty again after I completely cleaned them over and had the bike running just for a couple of minutes....what I didn't consider was the tank... I'm building a special so I switched 3 tanks before finding the right one...all this tank must have had some s**t inside that completely closed the idle jets.
Another good cleaning to the carbies and a deeeeep cleaning to the tank, new fuel filter and hose...3..2..1..ROOOOAR!

Bike is still a bit lean but will start straight away. I'm gonna order bigger jets (Drewpy says 52.5, I can go for them) and be happy with my creature.

Thank you guys!

Hey guys, problem solved.
Funny, it was not directly related to the carbies....yeah, they were dirty again after I completely cleaned them over and had the bike running just for a couple of minutes....what I didn't consider was the tank... I'm building a special so I switched 3 tanks before finding the right one...all this tank must have had some s**t inside that completely closed the idle jets.
Another good cleaning to the carbies and a deeeeep cleaning to the tank, new fuel filter and hose...3..2..1..ROOOOAR!

Bike is still a bit lean but will start straight away. I'm gonna order bigger jets (Drewpy says 52.5, I can go for them) and be happy with my creature.

Thank you guys!

And THAT is why many of us run an in-line filter. Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

I just installed 47.5 pilot jets (up from 45) and new o-rings on the pilot screws in my Maxim. I don't think the jets are big enough as I can't get the idle mixture over rich no matter how far I turn the screws out. I did however manage to get a decent idle and sync. A test ride tomorrow will tell the truth. And give me a chance to test the 150 main jets I also installed. :D

I'm having trouble believing how lean these bikes were jetted from the factory, or how much of a difference pods and mufflers make. :shrug:

Dave

LOL! I understand! As I stated in the beginning of this thread, I went with pods to facilitate easy carb removal as I knew I was in for a lot of testing due to the mufflers I had installed. And removing the carbs on a Maxim with a stock airbox is a real chore!

I never thought that I'd have to go with jets as large as I have. I would have started with 145 mains rather than working my way up from 135's. I also would have increased the jets in increments of 5 (rather than 2.5) until I found the jets that were too rich, then I would have dropped down by 2.5.

Live and learn!
Dave

Back