Too big of a chain?

samsurgalski

TC rider
Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I recently purchased a 1981 Yamaha XS400 Special II. It needed a new chain and sprockets, so I purchased a kit on eBay which included a new chain and sprockets. After everything was installed again, I've got TONS of give in the chain - it's got about 6'' of give. The chain sent to me was a 530H-106L. So, there's a 106 links in the chain - is this too many? Should I give it to my local dealer to have them chop it down a little bit?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help. I'm turning it into yet another XS400 cafe racer, so if anyone has any cafe advice..let me know! :D

Sam

I just installed a new chain last week I had to cut about 6 links off. I used my old chain as the guide and cut the new chain to match. I used an angle grinder to slice into the side of the face of the chain taking off the head of the rivets then used a punch to knock out the pins.

Yes, that is too many. The spec on the chain (google things, please, the info is there.)
is that your chain should be????

530 by 100. IE, at one inch per link you are six inches over.

Remove them until you have 100 links. That is the spec. It is also easy to find. On google. Seriously.

Just google it.

Drewcifer

PS, ride safe.

Yes, that is too many. The spec on the chain (google things, please, the info is there.)
is that your chain should be????

530 by 100. IE, at one inch per link you are six inches over.

Remove them until you have 100 links. That is the spec. It is also easy to find. On google. Seriously.

Just google it.

Drewcifer

PS, ride safe.

no chain is measured in 1/8ths of a inch, 530 chain is 5/8th pitch (link lenght) x 3/8ths width 520 chain is 5/8 x 2/8ths or 1/4th, 41 chain is 4/8ths (1/2) x 1/8, 3/4 chain is 6/8ths

I'm the kind of guy that looks up the length and measurement/spec of the chain BEFORE I buy it.

Our bikes take 530 x 100 chains.

That's as far as I need to go...

Jayel, your info, while accurate, is sort of indecipherable. You still didn't tell him which chain he needed or how long it needed to be.
But I learned that you know a lot about chains! ;)

Ride safe

Drewcifer

Back