Too much fork oil???

jcorney

77 XS400
Reaction score
Sooooo... I had a very soft front end, after reading some posts here I decided to drain what fork oil was in the forks and replace it with some 20w fork oil. So I drained the oil by undoing the drain screws and leaning on it until it seemed to be empty. Then I removed the top caps and added the new fluid. I pretty much topped it off. I put it back together and pushed down on it. It might as well be welded in place. I weigh 210lbs, so I would think I should be able to push it down some. Seeing as I probably made a newb mistake and added way too much oil, how much should I take out? :doh: Thanks!

Drain them again and put in the right amount. I believe I did 130cc in mine but you'd have to check to manual. Keep in mind I dismantled and cleaned mine so there was no residual oil like would be led if you simply drained them. Drewpy posted somewhere that he did something like 6 mm from the top, perhaps he'll chime in.

I did mine not too long ago, from memory it is indeed 130cc in the manual. And I think 130cc is the same as 130ml.

Two different amounts for sohc depending on your model #.
The dohc is way different - manual says 263 cm3 in each tube.

Attachments

• sohc fork oil.JPG
    sohc fork oil.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 927
Back