Torque settings

bigdog

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Haynes manual has been loaned (and not yet returned) so can someone let me know the torque setting for the swing arm pivot bolt on the XS400SE? I've looked around the forum and googled it but there seems to be some disagreement. While we're on the subject, what are the settings for the front and rear axle bolts?
Thanks.

There are manuals on here you can download.
I could probably give you the settings I have but they are for the DOHC models.
I doubt they would differ much.
Rear AND fronthe wheel axles...75ft/lbs or 105Nm
Swing arm pivot shaft....47ft/lbs or 65Nm

Thanks Jeff. I trawled through the Haynes manual download but couldn't find the info I needed, which I thought was a bit strange. At this point I got bored looking at tech stuff on a screen so I decided to ask on the forum.
As Jeff's settings are for the DOHC I wonder if anyone can confirm they are the same for the SOHC (can't think why they wouldn't be)?

I can't think why they WOULD be the same. Different bikes, different design, different parts, different torque values.

But, I'm thinking like an aircraft mechanic who isn't allowed to guess about such things. We are discussing simple motorcycles here...

Ah, you're obviously more knowledgeable than me. If that's the case then I need someone to tell me the answer please.

I've just checked the SOHC manual that I have and the axle torques are 76 ft-lb. The Swing arm pivot shaft is 47 ft-lb.

Might as well be the same as the DOHC specs. But now you know what the book says.

Back