total newbie to motorcycles

ralphtdog

new to XS400
Reaction score
hello,
I'm totally new to motorcycles, and being the type of person I am, I have to dive in feet first. I've look at several "project bikes" on craigslist and saw one that instantly appealed to me. however, I don't know for sure what kind it is.
From my research I think this is a 1980 XS400 Yamaha, but would verymuch like this confirmed.
Can you please help me identify this VIN 3F9-004851?

I'm pretty sure I have most of the major parts (missing fuel tank and seat and all gear on the handle bars) and am eager to identify it to put some of my mechanical skills to use. Any information you can help provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Yep, it is a1980 XS400, same as mine. The "3F9" portion of the VIN verifies that.

What type of wheels are on this bike? If it has mags and they are original to the bike, it is a model "SG" - front disc brake and rear drum brake. If it has wire wheels with drum brakes on each wheel, it is a model "S".

Also, look carefully at the spokes on each of your wheels if you have mags to see if one spoke is marked "Suitable for tubeless tires". If so, this indicates you have mags produced for an '80 or '81 bike. Earlier years were not so marked.

Last edited:
An XS400 makes a great first project bike. They are simple to work on and can be anything from stock mild to uber-modified wild.

Welcome!

Yep, it is a1980 XS400, same as mine. The "3F9" portion of the VIN verifies that.

What type of wheels are on this bike? If it has mags and they are original to the bike, it is a model "SG" - front disc brake and rear drum brake. If it has wire wheels with drum brakes on each wheel, it is a model "S".

Also, look carefully at the spokes on each of your wheels if you have mags to see if one spoke is marked "Suitable for tubeless tires". If so, this indicates you have mags produced for an '80 or '81 bike. Earlier years were not so marked.
I guess its an SG! it has front disk and rear drum. The front Mag has tubless on it as well! super! thank you. if you have any documentation/websites/suggestions/or random thoughts that might help me in my project I would greatlyy appreciate it.
I've posted pictures in my album with "the project" to give an idea of what I'm gonna under take.
Thank you for the reply.

An XS400 makes a great first project bike. They are simple to work on and can be anything from stock mild to uber-modified wild.

Welcome!
Oh, I supose if I'm gonna touch it, its gona be something in-between. Thank you for replying. if you have any tid-bits of advice I'd be more than appreciative to hear them.
Thank you

Back