transforming into a bobber

swascott1981

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Ok so here's what I got I've had a 1981 xs400 special for about a year now I've done painted it but now I think I wanna go crazy and make it a bobber.
well my buddy has a sportster peanut tank I'm gonna put on it and some longer forks but I'm not sure where to start doing this.
I'm a pretty good welder so is there any good steps as far as doing the rear end wiring and seat stuff.
any feedback would be great because I want this bike to scream I'm the shit thanks

Ahh the green machine..;) There is a nice thread called Fubars build on here with an xs hard tailed, id be studying that for direction. Good luck

Well thanks and yes my 400 looked like it was buried when I got her so painted her florescent green so she's the green machine

you need some sort of jig to line up your back axle with the rest of the frame / engine and you need a jig if your going to weld it because metal distorts when heated (welded)

So rather than a bobber, you are simply cutting off the tailsection and relocating wires and lights... that is simple enough, take pics before unhooking anything and take pics of mechanical configurations as well.. Make your cuts, add your solid struts or shorty shocks and re-route wires and refer to pics for hookup

Back