trying to instal key start

loneflyer14

new owner of xs400
Reaction score
:confused: im trying to install a key start instead of using the button (because its broke) and i was using an electrical diagram from the site. there are four prongs on the key start and i have a ground wire power wire two accessory wires one for the turn signal flasher and one for the lights and the starter wire can i put the two accessory wires on one accessory prong the power wire on the battery prong the starter wire on the ignition prong and the ground on the last prong???? will it cause damage to the system because when the key is turned to the start position both the battery prong and the ignition prong are closed in relation to the ground prong? :( (top left acc prong middle prong is ground far right prong is ignition botton is battery)

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 294
I just make a new start button for $2 from radio shack. mount it wherever you can drill a 1/2" hole. blue and white wire on one side and ground the other. done.

It shouldn't cause any damage, but if your worried about it get some SPDT (single throw, double pole) relays, wire each accessory circuit up to a relay, and use them to isolate the circuits. Basically the key switch would then just be used to apply power to the relay and not have the entire bikes wiring going through it.

:confused: im trying to install a key start instead of using the button (because its broke) and i was using an electrical diagram from the site. there are four prongs on the key start and i have a ground wire power wire two accessory wires one for the turn signal flasher and one for the lights and the starter wire can i put the two accessory wires on one accessory prong the power wire on the battery prong the starter wire on the ignition prong and the ground on the last prong???? will it cause damage to the system because when the key is turned to the start position both the battery prong and the ignition prong are closed in relation to the ground prong? :( (top left acc prong middle prong is ground far right prong is ignition botton is battery)
The problem with installing a key-start ign.switch on a vehicle that's not designed for one is that the "start "button is merely a ground in the circuit.In a key switch starting system,the switch completes a positive circuit,by means of a relay[which conveys a strong current using a weak current].Your problem is to isolate the pos.from neg in the switch,which is imposible,as it's connected internally.

Back