Tsox 1978 XS400 tracker build

T-sox

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just picked up 2 XS400's on Saturday from an older guy that just wanted them out of his basement. The plan is to part one out and turn the other on into a tracker style bike. something like this but a little more blacked out:

Here is a picture of what I'm starting with,

It's a 78 with 10,000 miles. It has been sitting for a few years in a clean basement. I'm hoping to not have to touch the internals of this one too much. Maybe a quick head job if I feel up to it. I just started a XS650 bobber project at the same time so money and time are tight. This one is going to be sort of a budget build. Hopefully progress with be quick but I'm not betting on it :(

Any recommendations on things to look out for would be great! :thumbsup:

I am thinking about a Pamco ignition and possibly a Banshee PMA swap. I'd like to make this kick start only to fit the tracker vibe and I know from experience how much easier those make a bike start. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

As of right now the bike is completely stripped down to the frame. It will be going on a major diet this weekend :gun: I ordered a tear drop style tank off of eBay so the boxy tank will be going. Also getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tail section.

Stay tuned

Got a little bit done last night. Pulled out the grinder and made sparks for about an hour. The frame and swing arm look a lot cleaner now. Still a few more things I'll probably trim off.

With the two bikes I got a box of spare parts. Some of them were for an XS400 and some weren't. I found a set of old "Rototiller" bars in there that I think I may hack up for the rear hoop. They're the perfect size tubing and they have the right bends. I need to get the tail section here before I can decide.

Back