Turn signal nightmare...need input from wiring gurus

9c1cap

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so after walking away from this months ago to clear my head, Im back at it, need to get this bike on the road for the owner and this wiring prob is the only thing keeping it off the road. So quick history: 1980 XS400G rustoration, gone thru the mechanicals, new valves, seals, bearings, fresh paint on everything. Just wanted to make it safe/reliable, as well as easy on the eyes. I believe my build thread is on here somewhere. So on to the wiring....Harness was unmolested when I got into it except for some inline fuses replacing the original panel. The only thing I have done is put in a good blade-type fuse block for neatness and did the radio shack rec/reg. Problem was there before and after those modifications.

So whats happening: right turn signal works just fine. When left turn signal is applied, everything EXCEPT the turn signals blink. By everything, I mean brake light-headlight-tag light-neutral indicator and oil presssure lamp. The turn signal and turn signal indicator lamp do NOTHING.

Here is what I have eliminated: Have two turn signal switches and both give same results. Took one apart and re-soldered all connections to eliminate that. So its not the turn switch. I have eliminated each of the other lamps that blink by unplugging them one at a time, and the problem still persists. So its not in the other lamps. Using a 2-prong flasher and problem persists with the canceller both plugged and un-plugged. So its not the canceller. Anybody have some input?? Maybe seen this problem before? I dont know where else to look.....Thanks!

Oh, and here is the diagram that best represents this bike:
http://www.xs400.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4628&d=1303668862

Craig

normally when something else flashes when the indicator should, is down to the earth(ground). The indicator earth can be faulty and the easiest way to earth is via the other bulbs, normally it the rear/brake lamp that does it.

other than that, I'm not sure what else to suggest

ok!! sounds to me like your turn signal flasher is working just fine! maybe there is a fault in your diagram or maybe you interpreted it wrong. i hate wiring diagrams myself!!!

check that ground problem first but all those lights should have been kind of weak if it was a ground problem.

get a test light and find the power wire that is powering everything and making everything flash!!!

plug that wire into your left turn signal!!! if that fixes your blinkers and your indicator still works problem solved!

then find a power wire that comes on with the key and plug that into the plug where you had the blinking wire.

then let us know how that works!! this is how i problem solve without a manual. i play with way to many bikes to run and get a manual for everything!!

OK thanks for the input but I FOUND the problem!! It was indeed a shorted hot wire and not a ground problem. I have a tendency to over-analyze some things and go way beyond where the problem is, as I did in this case.
So, ya know the little tang on the bottom of a heli-coil that you break off after it is installed?? Well when I shortened the turn signal pedestals and installed the heli-coils, that little tab somehow found its way inside the light socket for the LR turn signal. Where the spring holds the hot wire to the bulb. So this tiny little piece was shorting the turn signal wire to the outer socket and grounding it out!! Oh how easy it is to overlook the little things.....So now thats all squared away...

Now here's my next problem!! Oil pres/neutral indicator lamps are constant-on with the battery. Shouldnt they only come on with the key, otherwise the battery would drain?? But they stay on, key or not....Thanks!
Craig

Last edited:
hmm that one has me dumbfounded!!! most things are ground switched on a bike though so it still sounds like you may have a pinched wire somewhere.

interesting test hmusket......how's he gonna turn it off if it starts. LOL!!!

Ground switched yes but they shouldnt have power to them with the key off, am goin out to dig deeper on that right now....hmusket no I havent started it yet, and I think the h/l deal is cause the relay keeps it off till the engine is running, i didnt realize that, so there may be no problem there at all. But tomorrow I should be throwing the tank back on and kickin her over again! I just wanted to get this wiring stuff done first so I can wrap the harness back up and tuck it back in place! I'll let ya know what I find! Thanks guys....

Craig

Back