turn signal relay

scruftdog

XS400 Member
Reaction score
from looking at the wiring diagram for the 400H the turn signal relay looks like it should work for both sides.. so if the right side is flashing good and the left side isnt that means my issue is before the relay?
When i jumper the relay from the battery i can open and close the relay just fine..
the issue is when click to the left side turn signals the relay keeps clicking really fast and the lights dont light.. both lights work when tested to the battery and when i swap them to be hooked to the right side lines they blink good. so i dont think its a resistance issue in the line. maybe the handlebar switch itself? or is the relay side dependent?
thanks in advance!

Sounds like a switch issue. The relay on my 83 is not side dependant, and I believe that's the same for all model years (and, in fact, all vehicles with blinkers.)

Seems to me if its blinking fast, doesnt' that mean one turn signal bulb is burnt out? That what it means on cars. I haven't had to cross this one yet. JMD was just msg'ing about swapping to LED's but that scenorio plays out all turn signals flash till you put in 2 diode's.
Tobie

The voltage feed for both sides goes thru the turn signal flasher and then to the switch. Your most likely problem is one or more burnt out bulbs or corroded sockets on the side that isn't blinking. The switch would be the next likely possiblility. Use a voltage meter on the side that does not blink to check for voltage at the bulb socket when you turn on that side blinker. If you have voltage, the switch is almost assuredly working. Make sure the socket ground is good.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I happen to know the bulbs are fine. (I swapped the front bulbs left & right as well as the rear and the left still blinked and the right didn't). The sockets and connections are all clean. Guess I'll take a look at the switch next, maybe there is some corrosion inside or a bad connection.
:shrug:

Back