uk xs400 newbie with us import for repair

yaggis57

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello to everybody I'm new to the XS400 but thought this US 1979 import was to good to refuse. Got the bike delivered last Thursday and is in quite good condition. Decided to try and get it running before anything else. There was no battery so hooked up to my van but had no joy. The fuel was old and smelt awful so removed carbs ,never seen so much dirt and sticky tar like swag in my life, took a good while to clean the jets but eventually cleared them and refitted carbs to bike .Success it burst into life and sounded good through both cylinders.

Next lifted the seat to find some horrible welding as can be seen in my album pictures so have decided to strip down to frame and have it welded properly. So it is now sunday evening and I'm stripped and ready for action and hopefully will get it welded this week.

I'm open to any advice so please make any comments if you wish.

Bye for now

Last edited:
This maybe a stupid question but as the silencers both have a bit of corrosion near the rear end what would happen if I cut say 3 or 4 inches off the pipe ?

Would that affect performance or make the bike too noisey or can you just not do it?

This maybe a stupid question but as the silencers both have a bit of corrosion near the rear end what would happen if I cut say 3 or 4 inches off the pipe ?

Would that affect performance or make the bike too noisey or can you just not do it?

Modifying a stock exhaust will greatly affect the bikes performance. And NOT for the better.

If he cut the back ends off the mufflers removing the corroded part then welded an end cap on with ports for the exhaust to flow through it wont affect the performance that much.If you cut the mufflers all the way off then it will and you will have rejet your carb to accmidate the changes made to the exhaust system.

Back