ultrasonic cleaning

Those look really nice. Did you do any polishing after. I'm using a ultrasonic specific cleaner which is working good but I couldn't find the 1220 in canada. I emailed the company and they never got back to me. Looks great I'm thinking of trying soda blasting to get rid of the original paint on mine since its half gone anyways.

No polishing... just straight out of the ultrasonic cleaner. Most don't come put looking so bright and look like darker dull aluminum. Still clean but just dull. For some reason these came out nice and bright and shiny.

Shaun,
I'm thinking of getting an ultrasonic cleaner. Can you completely immerse the carb set? How many litres is it?
Thanks
seniorbobber

Hey Seniorbobber

Yes you can completely immerse the carbs. In my case my cleaner isn't huge and you will likely run into the same issue. I just keep flipping them. The ultrasonic process is really gentle on the unit as a whole and really dosen't cause the carb to get any hotter then it would being attached to your engine. Mine is just over two liters I think. I only put two liters of solution into it. You really have to strip it right down as far as you can if you really want it clean. I just left in the butterfly and I think I'm actually going to remove them. I might as well put in new seals while I'm at it, after going this far why not. Good luck with it. I think its a great tool you ca use it for all kinds of stuff. I also picked up a vibratory polisher for cleaning up other parts you can use all kinds of media like walnut, glass bead, anything

I just got my ultrasonic cleaner yesterday, and have cleaned a few things.

I'm using simple green diluted to around 20:1.

Here's a petcock that I cleaned today. This was CAKED with 30 years of crap. It took a couple hours to get everything. after an hour I scraped some of the deep spots just to get the really thick shit out. Some of it was easily 3/16" thick.

With a little preclean, and a stronger solution I'm sure it would have taken half the time.

Attachments

• cleaned petcock.jpg
    cleaned petcock.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 288
An older L&R off ebay. Hindsight being 20/20 I would have bought a larger one. Mine is a 3 quart.

I say get as big as you can, it has to have heat, and the right solution really makes a difference. :twocents:

+1. I agree on all counts. Mine will fit both bs34's off of my xs400 with the diaphragm cover, and the bowl off. It leaves about 1/4" of either the engine, or filter side sticking out though. I WILL be buying a bigger one when I find the right deal.

Someone mentioned earlier that it really starts working when the heat kicks in. I haven't put a thermometer on mine yet, but I would guess it gets to 130°+. Big difference once it gets hot.

I showed my cleaned carbs to my neighbor (30+ year factory mechanic, and lifelong motorcyclist). He said that they look as clean or better than new carbs.

I'll post before and afters when I do the ones off my xs650.

Thanks to all for you advice on the ultrasonic cleaner. The one I'm looking at is 3.8 litres, thats about as big as I can afford. Even at that I'll have to be carefull Mrs. SB doesn't find out. Maybe we'll call it an early Christmas present.:bike:
sb

I know this thread has been dead for a while, but for those in Canada (such as myself) who've been wanting to buy an Ultrasonic Cleaner but couldn't afford it I stumbled on a really good deal.

Trusonik 10L Ultrasonic Cleaner

It's digital, with heat and timer, plus a bunch of awesome stuff like free shipping, 30 day return, and a 1 year manufacturers warranty.

I've been looking for a long time and this looks really good so I thought I'd share what I've found. This thread also has some good info for operating any unit you buy so that's good too. Just make sure you leave one for me too!

The timer on that unit is it's only downfall. I'd want one that counts hours or days, not minutes! Otherwise, it looks to be a good deal.

I've talked to a local shop that offers ultrasonic carb cleaning. They have had carbs that literally took a week to clean, with everyone in the shop resetting the timer when they walked past and found it off. My carbs took over 10 hours the last time I did them in my cleaner, and that was the third time cleaning them.

I didn't even think about wanting to keep it on for longer than 55 minutes, that would certainly be a pain! Although, it would be good as reminder to check your pieces. If you saw the thread about the part left in an ultrasonic cleaner and it was destroyed then it would hit home.

I like it mostly for pricepoint, that said I would definitely buy a better model if I had the cash, and also if they were more accessible for purchase. What cleaner do you have?

Local shop here refused to do my 81 carbs. Said they had too high of a chance of oxidizing. Even after I told them I've cleaned them in my dishwasher before, they still wouldn't do them! Back to tip cleaners+solvent for me.

Back