ultrasonic cleaning

bikersteve

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi All, l have been told that the best way to clean out the carbs is to clean them in a Ultrasonic cleaner, has any body tried this ans does it work well, ? thinking of buying a ultrasonic cleaner to do the job , can get one from maplins for around £40 . wondering if its worth it :bike:

Hi All, l have been told that the best way to clean out the carbs is to clean them in a Ultrasonic cleaner, has any body tried this ans does it work well, ? thinking of buying a ultrasonic cleaner to do the job , can get one from maplins for around £40 . wondering if its worth it :bike:

I got mine from Aldi £16!!

the more expensive ones heat up the cleaning fluid. I sent mine early in the reto to JRS carbs and he charged me £100 to rebuild and ultrasonically clean them.

Ultrasonic is the way to go. I cleaned and cleaned my carbs then finally took them to the local shop (Twinline). Loads of gunk came out while I watched! Just be sure to use a very tiny amount of cleaner like Simple Green or similar.

I have a 5.5 gallon industrial one that I bought used for about $450. Works great!

sgrudier, why I tiny amount of cleaner? I use half a gallon of simple green to 5 gallons of water. Having the real chemicals made for ultrasonic cleaners would make it work even better.

Do the ultrasonic cleaners get the internal passages clean or just the outside of the carb bodies?

Yeah they'll clean anywhere the hot fluid can go.. even if the passages are clogged the cleaning action will eat through the varnish and allow the solution into the passages for more cleaning. Basically it creates tiny bubbles in the cleaning solution that implode and that is what does the cleaning. Most solutions are safe for rubber and plastic so you don't have to totally strip the carbs. You still want to remove most of usual things but you can leave them connected together if your cleaner tank is big enough and leave the throttle shafts and butterfly valves in.

Thanks Guys, deffo going to invest in one now, sounds like it could save a lot of work and hassel, wonder if they make one big enough to fit the whole bike in :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I bet they do! Can't even imagine how much it would cost though.. Maybe $50,000. The one I have goes for over $2,000 new, and it's only 5.5 gallons. 19.5in x 11.5in x 6in. You definitely want one with heat.

there is a local boat shop here who i have heard will ultrasonic any carb you bring them for cheap, like $40. you could check around for a place like that too?
Mike

11k opm skil palm sander + a can of berrymans + heating pad = amazing cleaner.

rocked my carbs to nearly new

do NOT immerse the heating pad, just wrap the can with it.

Ingenious bastard! I love it! I might just try that on my wifes Invisiline braces. She's been bugging me to get a small ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight.

my Pops boughtan ultrasonic a few years back, 2.5 gal capacity paid way too much for it and the only thing it will clean well is brass, it heats the fluid has a frequency controll all that jazz, ruined a Holley 4 barrel crab of mine one day...im sure they have come a long way in the past few years but right now its not much other than a 1200$ door stop

I've never heard of that. I do see a lot of old carbs that come out looking all dark gray and ugly. That is becuase they are already corroded and once you get all the dirt and junk off them, you can really see it. Water and soap shouldn't do that. At least I wouldn't think anyway. Was it one of those ones made in china that are sold on ebay? I bet if you got the cleaning solution that was made for ultrasonic cleaners and also specifically for cleaning greasy parts, it would work a heck of a lot better.

Back