used to run now not kicking or electric starting

shoop1982

NEW TO XS400
Reaction score
The bike has been running well, I have been working on it over the last few weeks. I bought a 1979 yamaha xs 400. I had to remove a cat eye taillight with integrated signals to return to basic turn signals and a 1930s ford stop light. Everything had been working fine until i plugged in the new stop light...I was able to start it the other day but for some reason, I tried to kick start the bike and she would not start....key is turned on...choke is on, and she is in neutral....for some reason neither the electric start or the kick wont start the bike. It seems as though i have compression....the spark plugs look a little dark...i will try and clean them tonight....but does anyone have any ideas as to how i should approach this issue?

If there is any information on other posts about this it would be much appreciated if someone would send me that post....hate for anyone to repeat....thanks for your help

On another note...I do not know if there is any connection between this and my issue...but the other day...I noticed the left ignition coil was very hot....any thoughts on this?

If you leave the key on too long it will fry the coils. I would test the coils to see if they are still in spec.

Most often the first thing to check is the last thing you did to the bike. You mentioned changing the tail/brake light. A short to ground can draw the battery down enough so it won't start.
Fully charge the battery, while the battery is charging unhook the tail/brake light.
Will it start fine now?
Leo

Thanks Leo, I had a look at the things I was working on and noticed that the housing for the starter was turned slightly, I turned it back to the original position. Touched the button to start and it connected....I was looking at some of the previous posts on the forum and saw that the starter button grounds on the handlebar....looks like it works well now !

Back