Valve clearance question; precedural

i have a 1983 dohc yics xs400 seca and am about to check the valve clearances but do not have a suitable manual. my questions are three:

1. where can i get a manual online for $20 or less?

2. what the are clearances for the intake and exhaust valves?

3. it looks like the top engine mount blocks the removal of the valve cover. do i have to support the engine and remove the top engine mount to inspect and adjust the valves?

i have a 1983 dohc yics xs400 seca and am about to check the valve clearances but do not have a suitable manual. my questions are three:

1. where can i get a manual online for $20 or less?
  2. what the are clearances for the intake and exhaust valves?
  3. it looks like the top engine mount blocks the removal of the valve cover. do i have to support the engine and remove the top engine mount to inspect and adjust the valves?
  1. Manuals are on this site - download for free. http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4503
  2. Should be in the repair manual.
  3. Bentwrench wrote on a thread about how to get at the valves without removing the top of the motor - something about removing some of the engine mounts and only loosening one so it can be used to rotate the motor using a jack. You can search it.

"Service manual for the 1982 XS400 in English, French, and German. Large download. Should be good for all DOHC models."

1. this appears to cover SOHC models not the DOHC model i need.
2. thanks
3 thanks for the lead. i search bentwrench.

"Service manual for the 1982 XS400 in English, French, and German. Large download. Should be good for all DOHC models."

1. this appears to cover SOHC models not the DOHC model i need.
2. thanks
3 thanks for the lead. i search bentwrench.

I think you will find '82 manual is the DOHC :)

Back