Valve lash

Clymer said .008 exhaust .0035 intake!!! Can't be right! What do you have yours at? And what manual are you referring to?

inlet (carb side) is 0.08 - 0.12 mm
exhaust 0.16 - 0.20mm
This what Im consistantly finding,I would find a happy medium as you its better to have the valve lash too loose than too tight.

What does the bike sound like at these figures?Seems to me you have your intake right at the minimim of the specs.From all the reading I have been doing on this topic its said better to have them loose than tight.If theres not enough free play in the valve lash, the valve can possible get hot enough to burn if the heat isnt allowed to dissapate.
Im going to do mine later

I don't believe your valve lash is set up properly,or the specs are wrong and out of adjustment.
My problem is when I get to step 2 I turn the engne over tdc with LT at the pointer and both valves are closed,the lash is not even on both sides.I set the adjustment for .08 intake and .16 exhaust.Then Im having a difficult time trying to get my feeler gauges bent at the proper angle to get underneath the tappet screw.Also Im haing an extremely difficult time keeping the LT at the pointer without it moving.I know theres a trick to this I read about it on other threads.If this isnt going bad enough my back is in extremely severe pain today.At this point Im taking a break and will try again later this evening.Im almost getting to the point Im going to say F it! and pay somebody to do this job for me.

Last edited:
It does want to swing past the mark because its on the compression stroke. I leave the wrench on the nut and attach my jack handle to the end of it to counter weight it, lol. I have forward controls so the wedging it under the foot peg trick doesn't work.

inlet (carb side) is 0.08 - 0.12 mm
exhaust 0.16 - 0.20mm
This what Im consistantly finding,I would find a happy medium as you its better to have the valve lash too loose than too tight.

My new Haynes manual has these same values, so I think the Clymer must be off. Does anyone have the Yamaha factory manual to be certain?

Bout damn time! Lol Now if we can figure out these run away idle situations we'll be making some progress!!!
I'm going .12 & .20 this Saturday. Hope it helps. I have a rather large list of maintenance to do Sat.

Good luck Bizzy. I haven't delved that far into my maintenance yet. I will feel good if I can put on my new cables and change the tires!

Well guys wish me luck I think I have finaly got this task done right!Between health issues and heat exhaustion I got them adjusted tonight.Had some help from the mirs holding the engine at TDC on both sides.Going to do a double check tomorrow and slap the beast back together and fire it up.

Back