Voltage regulator swapped, still no charge

400x

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So heres the deal. I tested the wires coming out of the alternator casing as the manual says to, everything checked out. tested the rectifier, its good. just installed the r-292 regulator, and now still no charge. you can see it go up maybe .03 volts going from idle to 3k. battery is fully charged. not sure what to do next except the vr test in the manual but i dont understand the test. It says to start the bike and then disconnect the battery. Which kills the bike... what am i missing here?

How's the wiring look? Still stock wires from 77? Checked continuity through all wiring runs? Connectors all in good shape? Believe it or not, the components of the charging system aren't that bad. Could be something pretty simple that doesn't necessitate replacing parts. Some people here have had issues with the wires that are behind the left cover, the ones that head into the stator area

i cleaned all the connectors and checked continuity and resistance in everything that goes under the left cover as suggested in the manual. everything seemed to check out. The resistances were maybe .8 where they should have been .7 ohms but they were all the same.

Still really confused about the vr test. "start the engine and disconnect the wire running from battery positive terminal to the fuse box."

Is this somehow not supposed to kill the bike? This is talking about the wire that connects directly to the battery, right?

Back