VR test in owners manual

400x

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Referring to the manual for the vr test it says "start the engine and disconnect the wire running from battery positive terminal to the fuse box." Is this somehow not supposed to kill the bike? This is talking about the wire that connects directly to the battery, right? I don't understand this and I have tested all the other electrical components that I know how to test but everything appears to be in good working order and my bike is charging around 12 volts. It goes up by about .3v when you give it a good rev. Any help is appreciated because I am completely lost at this point.

(I tested the resistances in the wires that run under the left side covers and they all were near spec from the manual and have continuity where they should.)

Doing that on a bike with electronic VR, or ignition, may be expensive. On an older bike with points and mechanical VR, it should be safe for the few minutes testing requires. I would be prepared to move quickly to keep the time the battery is disconnected to an absolute minimum.

One bad connection can cause the charging system to perform poorly. Especially the wiring at the VR or feeding it. the ignition switch can also cause problems if it's contacts are corroded or pitted.

Good luck!

I was asking because when I disconnect the wire the bike dies immediately. guess I didn't mention that.

Sidenote: That is one hell of a bike you've got there. Don't see that every day.

The little details… Any other symptoms you'd care to mention? [emoji6]

Sounds like you have no output from your charging system. Start with the basics, like checking the fuses, cleaning wiring harness connectors, looking for broken wires, that kind of thing.

Thanks, it is an evolution in progress.

Back