wanting to bob 82 maxim on a tight budget. tips? suggestions?

It's doable, but you'll have a couple of challenges that some of us are working through:

1. where to put the battery. Common consensus is on the swingarm.
2. you are likely stuck with your current tank.
3. the stance of the frame is very front-high.

Doesn't mean it can't be done - out of challenges come inspiration and creativity. Check out my restore and customize thread if you want to learn from some of my mistakes.

My first though was "Tight budgets and customizing don't go together". You can certainly have a swing at it, but I'd suggest taking the time to plan your build very carefully. Price out the parts you will need (including taxes, shipping, etc), add $100 to the bottom line, then add another 20%. That should have you short, but close. There are always surprises with any build, be it a tool you don't have, or forgotten fluids, cables that are too short or too long, rusty or broken parts, electrical connectors, shop supplies, etc.

While saving $ to buy the parts, ride the bike as much as possible and make sure it is in good running order. Take the time to wash and detail the bike regularly. It is amazing what you will see when you are touching and cleaning. Think about how you want the bike to look when it is done and what parts will have to be touched to get to the ones you want to replace. It is amazing how a seized screw can kill an afternoons progress...

Visualize, measure, and plan. Have patience and you will have a chance at keeping within your budget.

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
I think time = money. Not in the usual sense, that you want something done quick because time costs money, but that you want to take it real slow. Just make sure you ride your XS for a while, you take your time looking for scrap parts you can use (check out a local scrapyard regularly) and do lots of research on where stuff is cheapest. Find someone with lots of tools and befriend them so you can borrow stuff. Just become a real cheapskate basically :p

.. wanting to bob ... on a tight budget ... First time doing this,so all tips, pointers, suggestions would be great!
Don't do it, :wink2: Be a rider instead!

That's just me. I got mine last April, haven't done a thing other than break a few parts trying to do routine maintenance - but did ride nearly 8,000 miles and have had great times.
After doing lots of riding and kicking the tires of so many bikes I've met, I do have lots off ideas about what I might do IF I were a builder (and they are not the same as the ideas I had when I first got the Maxim) - so the advice above to get to know your bike first is worth taking.
Best advice I can give is avoid any avoidable problems. Get the in-line fuel filter asap, use the right M-C oil for wet clutches, lube and adjust everything properly. Read the service manual that's available on this Forum.
Welcome and best of luck. Oh, and post pics please.

Yeah,I think I'm gonna ride this summer, get ideas and build this winter. Pics coming soon. Posted via Mobile
You will have a fun summer if you get the $2 filter and your carbs stay clean like mine did.
If you find the revs too high - consider the 17T front sprocket substitution. About $20 and 30 minutes work - and you don't need a different sized chain.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3314.jpg
    IMG_3314.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3311.jpg
    IMG_3311.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3310.jpg
    IMG_3310.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 86
Lou ranger, where on this forum would I find the service manual? Posted via Mobile
What Dave said.
The Seca is almost the same as the Maxim for key things like frame, engine, controls. Gearing, gauges, tranny (6), tank, wheels and cosmetics are different.

I've been using the Seca manual for my complete tear down, so I can vouch for it being (mostly) sound. The only major difference I've found is in the ignition wiring - the diagram says 4 wires, but I only have 3. Besides that, it will serve for everything you need.

And if it doesn't, ask questions!

Back