Washing a Bike

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Before I jump in and do this...

I need to wash my bike. Can I actually spray it down with water and clean it as I would a car, or do i need to treat it differently?

Wash it like a car, just don't spray water into the air boxes. I dry mine with a leaf blower. These things are made to ride in a downpour.

I use a long bristle tire brush on the wheels and tires and some of the engine, rinsing with a low pressure stream of water. On the upper parts, I use a soapy cloth followed by a wet cloth to wipe off soap and dirt residue. Then I dry and follow up with quick wax. While I know the bikes were designed to be out in the weather, I usually try not to soak them and have moisture get into areas where it can then cause rust. Just a little picky, I guess, and I don't like getting moisture into old parts.

I use a long bristle tire brush on the wheels and tires and some of the engine, rinsing with a low pressure stream of water. On the upper parts, I use a soapy cloth followed by a wet cloth to wipe off soap and dirt residue. Then I dry and follow up with quick wax. While I know the bikes were designed to be out in the weather, I usually try not to soak them and have moisture get into areas where it can then cause rust. Just a little picky, I guess, and I don't like getting moisture into old parts.

Yeah, my thought was to bring it to one of the self wash car washes, cause it has everything I need, and I could target the water pretty easily.

The key is drying it and not letting it dry on its own. The leaf blower works perfectly, but if you don't have one, I guess you would have to be a little more careful.

I get the local young girls to wash mine in flimsy tee shirts.

deckchair and a beer and I'm all set for the afternoon :D

IMG00011-20101010-1744.jpg

Back