Weird rear light problem

chkm8

XS400 Student
Reaction score
I wanted to see if the handlebar lock worked on my bike, so I turned it to the lock setting and was happy that it did. Until I got off the bike and started to go inside, which is when I noticed the rear light was on and stays on as long as the front end is locked. Otherwise, everything works normally. Anyone else have this happen? :wtf:

If you turn it the key all the way, it is supposed to do that....why, I don't know, but it was designed that way. However, you can turn the key back a bit and have the light off and steering head still locked. In other words, you don't have a problem, just an odd design.

For what it's worth, apparently that is a parking light setting so when you run out of gas at night, no one hits you on the side of the road.

For what it's worth, apparently that is a parking light setting so when you run out of gas at night, no one hits you on the side of the road.

Yep, if you look at the ignition, the lock setting is about 7:30 while P is around 7 (figured this one out accidentally, too)

The P had worn off mine, I stumbled on it while studying the wiring diagrams for my bike.

Yep, not necessarily for running out of gas but just to have a light on so the bike is seen in the dark when parked and not run into. It's a Euro thing. I have left and right parking light positions on the headlight switches of both my older Mercedes sedans.

I have the same thing on my Merc. Always thought it was a little odd, but so are Germans :)

its so you can find your bike in the dark when you go off for a Pee!

that's why it says P on it!

Back