What did I do now?

SilverTalon

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I've been asking for a lot of help lately, it is for a good cause.

I took apart my carbs today to see what was wrong. One of the floats was sticking, which i resolved. I put everything back together. Now when I try to start the bike, every so often I think it starts I hear a loud clank from the engine, and then it stops/stalls.

Now that I think about it I also fucked with the black banana looking ignition thingy

Last edited:
Is it running or is it not running? It's hard to tell from your description. I would pull the plugs and try turning the motor over by hand.

Thought about that for a bit.

I remember detaching it, then just putting it back the say I found it. Is there a wrong way to re-attach it?

Can you pull the stator cover off and turn the motor over using a socket or something? The kick start is too fast/forceful to provide useful information. If you turn it by hand slowly you'll be able to tell if the internal parts are bunged or making contact. It's a good thing to rule out!

lol, sounds like someone left their "tool" on your xs my friend....

Seriously, a banana-looking thing? Umm a coil? did it have two wires..one orange?

ahhh an inside joke, my bad:)

Last edited:
lol, sounds like someone left their "tool" on your xs my friend....

Seriously, a banana-looking thing? Umm a coil? did it have two wires..one orange?

5nrgyc.jpg

I'm guessing here but with my points set-up as many of us have you can advance/retard your timing with the points plate...SO...I'm assuming you can rotate this as well to adjust timing..maybe your way off in timing now?

Ignition timing shouldn't cause a loud noise, but cam timing could. This is why I suggested slowly rotating the engine by hand.

Im not arguing against doing that, just don't have time to right this second.

If it was working before, then i took the carbs off, fixed floats, also took the timing off, put it back on, would all that cause the cam timing to go?

I guess I should describe the whole issue.

Bike was running fine, but then would loose power on the left side. Fuel was leaking from the left air filter. I replaced coils to attempted to solve the power issue. Ran a little better then starting having issue again (Issue being I could run the bike with right spark and coil alone, but not the left.

Guy at work told me to check my contact points, which i thought I had, which led to me taking off the ignition timing and putting it back on.

Then I read up on the forums about the fuel leaking issue. Took the carbs apart, fixed the floats to the right level (about 26mm), put them back together, and put everything back on the bike.

Now I'm at my current point.

Yeah, I didn't know everything was fine before. Loud noises would make me double check just to be sure.

Ok, ok, ok... you took the timing thingermabob off the cam? Did you line up the small "dowel" protrusion with the recess in the timing thing? If it isn't seated in its home it's not going to be happy and might make a clank as it passes by the recess.

I'd take the advice above considering nothing you did should have broke anything internal from a mechanical standpoint... That is, roll the enginge over by hand...also a compression test might help identify broken/lodged rings somewhere...

theres only one way that banana thinger majegerr goes back one and it looks correct to me. lol

it doesnt spin like the points system , i would say bc may be right, if its not turning over smoothly right now you may have busted a tooth or the chain is loose.

maybe it was the the luck of the draw somthing else broke or is worn out and you happened to tinker with the carbs during that time

Yeah, I didn't know everything was fine before. Loud noises would make me double check just to be sure.

Ok, ok, ok... you took the timing thingermabob off the cam? Did you line up the small "dowel" protrusion with the recess in the timing thing? If it isn't seated in its home it's not going to be happy and might make a clank as it passes by the recess.

bcware for the win!

Opened up the timining and unbolted it. As you said, it was not seated correctly. Put it in right, bolted back in, and started up with no issue.

Now, as i wanted to make sure, I turned it off and on a few times (which is probably bad enough). But if I use the electrical start it will now clank, but turn on. Kick start turns on no issue, instantly.

Back