What do these relays do?

phatman1969

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is having a great weekend. I need to know what these relays do. When I do my seat they are going to get in the way. If i need to leave them I will redesign. If I can move them safely I will. Here is a photo, Let me know all your thoughts. Thanks

Attachments

• relays.jpg
    relays.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 315
One more thought. I think one of them is some kind of starter safety cut out. Can it be bypassed or just removed.....?

Hi Phatman, I am guessing your riding a 82 xs400? I know my 81 XS400, the safety/relay are under the battery tray, forward of the middle bar/right under it. somewhere on this site is the wire diagram for the 82 bike, and knowing what colors wires are going to which relay will tell you what type of relay your looking at. I am working on my bike, and after figuring out what I gotten, I have quickly marked it with a silver permanent marker. so i dont have to figure it out again. as far as bypassing it, probably not the thing to do with out the diagram. My bike the Safety is wired to the neutral switch, and a power wire is router though there for a reason, that alot of us have surmised. But its more thinking than I am willing to worry about. today anyways.
goodluck Tobie

On the left is your starter safety switch, and on the right is your sidestand safety relay.

Both can be moved, but they will short out to the frame if you remove them from the rubber holders (as I discovered just a couple of days ago while trying to move mine.)

Thanks to the both of you for the info. I was wondering why they were hanging in those rubber boots. Probably just leave them there and redesign the seat.

Back