What does it take to fit XS650 wheels to an XS400

DustinLangston

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I have an 81 XS400 with 18 mag disc front/16 mag drum rear. I'm building a functional scrambler and can't find any good knobby dual sport tires in a 16". I came across a set of 1980 XS650 spoked wheels in a 19 front disc/ 18 rear drum. I know the axle diameter is different and I'm hoping I can either sleeve the axles to fit or find a replacement bearing with a smaller inside dia. Since I don't have the wheels in front of me I can't do any measuring. Questions-
1. Will the 650 rear drum fit over the 400 hub and use the 400 shoes/ect?
2. Will the width of the hubs fit between the forks and swingarm?
3. Will the front brake rotor and rear sprocket align correctly?
4. Has anyone done this?
5. Please don't respond with "buy an xs400 18" rear wheel".
Picture attached is the xs650 wheels for sale.

Attachments

• xs650 wheels.jpg
    xs650 wheels.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,729
I have an 81 XS400 with 18 mag disc front/16 mag drum rear. I'm building a functional scrambler and can't find any good knobby dual sport tires in a 16". I came across a set of 1980 XS650 spoked wheels in a 19 front disc/ 18 rear drum. I know the axle diameter is different and I'm hoping I can either sleeve the axles to fit or find a replacement bearing with a smaller inside dia. Since I don't have the wheels in front of me I can't do any measuring. Questions-
4. Has anyone done this?
4. Has anyone done this?
I posted the same question earlier today.mainly because its easier to get 650 wheels than 400 in the uk.. be interested to see what response is out there. good luck..

Back