What have I gotten myself into

Hmm... there is a complete 84 seca listed for $350 that's only an hour away. It says non-runner, but that is because it needs a head gasket and he has one. That would cost me much less than all of the parts I need to get this one running.

Doing a top end rebuild won't be that big a deal, and I was assuming I'd have to do it for this one anyways. I think that I will likely be listing a whole bunch of seca parts soon to make back what I paid for this mess.

Also, because of the squarish swingarm, does that mean that this is an "R" model? If so, what other differences were there?
From what I have learned, the "J" is the DOHC Maxim like mine and the RJ (sometimes referred to as just the "R" is the DOHC Seca.

Nearly all things cosmetic are different - bars, mirrors, handles, tank, seat, fenders, taillight, headlight, gauges, signals, side panels, wheels.
But the engines are the same - though Seca has a 6 spd, Maxim a 5 spd tranny. But apparently easily switchable (at least one guy on here has referred to doing it. Rear sprocket standard sizes are different.

Both have the mono-shock and the basic frames are the same, however, apparently the frames differ enough so you can't put Seca offset brake and clutch levers onto a Maxim without mods.

The Seca has 18" wheels front and rear, the Maxim has 19" and 16". Front calipers are different because Maxim has a flat disc and Seca uses a bowl shaped one so the braking surface is offset.

There is a guy in Kitchener selling lots of spares on Kijiji but they are Maxim spares - okay for some stuff, but be careful if it's any of the above....

I'd say that $350 seca is probably the way to go. Judging from the state of this one there will be many hidden flaws besides from the many very noticeable ones. For example it is likely your rear balancing pipe (the H -piece) of your exhaust is also rusted through since that's usually the first to go.

If everything is this rusted you'll have to probably do a full re-wire and replace all the switches and likely other components. De-rusting the fuel tank from this state will end up with more leaks than gas tank, not to mention all the other parts that will need replacing. Like chris said, anything is possible, but in this case I strongly doubt if this is a job worth doing.

Theres a mfew directions you can with this bike,
1 part it out
2 find a parts bike and fix your old one.
3 Make a custom project out of it and start from bare bones.
4 Take it down all apart and do a full restore.
It all depends on how much time and $ and tools you have available.
Theres diagrams for the wiring so you can start from scratch make a new one or chack yours over and see what kinda shape its in and if your lucky reuse it.
After market exaust systems are available fairy reasonable.You can eliminate the crossover pipes and just go with a single pipe on each side then rejet your carbs to match.
If I had the time Id love to find a project bike but I don't,Im just too busy of a person and always have something to do.

I've decided to part it out. I will be listing parts for cheap on this site as well as on my local kijiji. I really only want to get back what I have in it, so if anyone local wants a whole parts bike let me know.

Back