What is difference

la-river-rat

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I am looking for plastics for my 1983 xs400k. On ebay I see plastics for a special, maxim and seca 400 they all look a little different. How do I know which I need

You need to know which one you have. Take a photo and post here; we can tell you.

I am looking for plastics for my 1983 xs400k. On ebay I see plastics for a special, maxim and seca 400 they all look a little different. How do I know which I need
If your bike is 5-speed it is a Maxim (if still original), and if it's a six speed it's a Seca. Very different plastic bits on the side as the tanks and seats are very different too, but at least they are cosmetic only and don't prevent riding.
Another difference: Seca has 18" wheels with rectangle "spokes" front and back. The Maxim has 19" front, 16" rear and the "spokes" are curved.

Here are pictures can you tell me for sure

Attachments

• 130323_001.jpg
    130323_001.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 130323_002.jpg
    130323_002.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 130323_003.jpg
    130323_003.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 211
It's a Maxim. Lucky you (less shifting). I hope you will paint it red like all the best Maxims.
Before you try and start it, I recommend you invest $2 in an in-line fuel filter as you never know what dust might come out of a 30 yr-old PO's tank. Cut an inch out of the line and push the ends onto the filter's spigots and you're done. Gave me peace of mind and trouble free riding for 12,000 kms last summer.

Since we know you have a maxium the plastic side covers that are listed in the classified section we directed you too wont work.Sorry to have misled you.

Great thanks guys. Now I know what I have Just need to round up the plastics.
Really thought about painting a lime green. You know how we ladies are, gotta be different. But I guess red would be a better color. Started on mustang in the pictures 6 years ago for my daughter. All that left is body work which I suck at. All that sanding crap a pain in my butt...
Ignition switch with new keys came in today, I am so happy. Embarrassing how little it takes to excite me. Also headed to store tomorrow to pick up gas filter.
Thank y'all

Actually, the plastics are getting difficult to find in decent shape. Especially the 2 side covers. Most often they are cracked, or have the mounting pins broken off. $40 and up are the prices I've been quoted when I find them, which isn't often...

Back