What is my safe Max RPM

thlillyr

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I'm new to motorcycles and was curios to know what is the RPM sweat spot for my bike. The gauge cluster red lines at 10,000 rpm and my spedo red lines at 55. Never seen a red line on a spedo before. Can someone explain what this means and what is the ideal rpm to cruise at. Like in a car it cruises at 2-3000 rpm is it the same for a bike? I have a seca 400 with mikuni carbs.

Attachments

• cluster.jpg
    cluster.jpg
    297.9 KB · Views: 323
idk about bikes, but with the readline for the speedo, the speedo on 80's cars stopped at 85 because of regulations and such. maybe its the same for bikes, and they made the redline 55 because thats most highways and rural road speedlimits.

Yup I'm still in my twenties. So is it safe to drive this bike at 75? Or is it not geared for those speeds?

Im also new to the bike scene. I took it down the interstate a few days ago on my 1980 xs400 and it cruised fine at 75. Wasnt gunna go much faster though. Rpms were around 6500. Stayed that way for about an hr before I got off and it did great. It was the first time being on the highway on 2 wheels. I was a little scared I admit at first but felt in complete control after a short distance. Great fun. Good luck with yours!

Back