what is this part?

bigslim

XS400 Member
Reaction score
so there is a tube going from the stock air box to the top of the engine/ transmission. what is it for? and how do i get rid of it. im trying to get rid of the stock air filters and just put 2 small filters over each carb so i can move the battery but the bike will not work without this pipe. whats the way around this? thnks

It's the crankcase breather tube. I believe you can put a small crankcase filter on the tube to get it out of the stock air box. Don't plug it, however, because you will build up pressure in there and blow oil into the cylinders.

dude, you need to find out more about your bike before modifying it.

I suggest you get a manual and do a service on the bike, that way you will get to know how it works.

welcome to the forum BTW

you can fit one like this i would have thought

94c4_12.JPG

I have a filter just like what redratbike posted on where my crank breather tube was. Make sure you get one that is very open and let's air through very easily. I bought mine at a local O'reilly's car parts store for about $10, and I've never had a problem with oil blowing up through it like others have said. The filter I bought is very easy to blow air through so I doubt I will have any issues in the future as I've had the filter on for a couple hundred miles already. Looks pretty cool too:D

Also make sure you measure where the breather hose connects to so you know exactly which size breather filter to get so it fits correctly!

Bc, where did you put your breather? Is it laying right under the carbs? I'm trying to figure out how to get mine from just laying there and flopping around I can't find too many pics online that show it in detail.

You still have the hose but no filter?

If you mean the filter, then mine fits snug under the carbs, even had to press it to make it fit. Same style as those redrat posted. Flopping around doesn't sound too good.

Here is a crappy pic.
imag0317_162282692.jpg

Yeah, that's what I meant. I have the filter, I just haven't mounted it or the pods yet. I figured I'd have to cut the hose down but it looked big to fit under the carbs, I haven't test fitted yet. Otherwise I'd have to figure out somewhere else to mount it and run the hose to it. And you're right, just letting it flop around sounds like a terrible idea. Just ask my wife! :O

Back