what is this

keepitmike

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I took off my tank after draining it to make sure it was clean.
removed and cleaned the shutoff and when I was shaking the tank I could feel and hear something in there, I tipped it upside down with my finger in her:wink2: and found this filter thing, obviously it goes in the top of the shutoff but had come out at some point and was floating around. The tank is very clean inside no debris came out and blah blah so I want to put it back together but I need to know if the filter has to go on a certain way or if I should get a new one or what, very fast answer for this I'd guess. Please don't call me stupid

picture helps

Attachments

• tank thing.JPG
    tank thing.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 291
That is a fuel filter from what I gathered from other posts. Similar to the inline fuel filter that most members here install on their bikes except this one is built internally. Mine didnt come with one, I think the PO took it off possibly due to being broken or too old. If yours isnt broken or anything and can be reattached correctly then you can use it as an internal fuel filter.

do you think it would matter which way I put it on there?
there are two females on the shutoff and one male on the filter with a female next to it.

which babe on the shutoff should the male go after?

On the petcock, one hole is for reserve so it would be taking gas from the bottom of your tank and the other is for main so its suppose to have a long tube attached to it so it can take gas from the top of the tank. I'm not sure which hole is which, maybe someone here can answer that. Edit/ on mine the left hole is main and the right hole is reserve but I dunno if all petcocks are setup like that universally or if some are the other way around.

I dont have one of those filters to look at in person so you gotta figure out if the male end of the filter is for the main tank or reserve but from the looks of it I think the male end would be for main and the female next to it would be for reserve. I could be completely wrong though maybe you should wait to see if others know. I guess the worse that could happen is your valve would be doing the opposite and you'd find out immediately if the filter is connected wrong.

I guess the worse that could happen is your valve would be doing the opposite and you'd find out immediately if the filter is connected wrong.
Just don't go too far from home with low fuel. If it isn't connected correctly then there won't be any reserve supply of fuel to rely on.
Sorry I can't say definitively either. I did see the one in my old sr250 tank and it looked exactly like your pic, but I can't recall how it was hooked up.

This site might be a help:

Plug one hole on the petcock and blow air into the gas intake. This will tell you witch hole is what, just remember to put some suction on the vacuum part of the petcock to turn it on.:thumbsup:

thank you for the inputs everyone! I'll get her going and turned on hottttt soon I hope!!

Personally, I would leave the internal filter off and use an external, see-through filter. Easy to tell when it needs changing.

In fact, that is exactly what I did do.

Would it not be a good idea to have the fuel filtered before getting to the shutoff though? tiny holes throughout the shutoff could be plugged and gas never make it to the in-line filter after the shutoff right?

I was going to remove my in-tank filter after adding an external filter, but thought "What if there is debris in the tank or fuel? Won't it jam, plug, or damage the petcock?".

Dave

Or what Mike said...

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will take a very small funnel and pour it in the openings and switch it from on to res and see if I can find out which hole is which, then know what side the high and low side of the filter belongs with, I went to a yamaha dealer in town and got a diagram and even that didn't show. so I'll have to just find out I guess!

well it won't go through either hole in the on position and when you put it to res and put it in hole A it backs up through hole B and when you put it in hole B it backs up through hole A so I put the damn thing on and I'll just see what happens if I run out of gas...if I switch it to reserve and still have none, then I'll take it out and turn it around haha, thanks for trying though guys

That sounds like you have a good petcock then. They are vacuum operated so if nothing is coming out when you put it on RES or ON then there are no leaks. Let us know what you find out. This thread would be great for others in the future.

If there's debris in the tank, it has a better chance of clogging the in-tank filter, then you have to pull the petcock. What have you gained?

Chances are, debris would be smaller than the passages in the petcock, and be caught by the external filter. But hey, it' all calculated risk. You probably can't go wrong either way.

Back