What just happened, one cylinder?

I was just kidding about this coming to an end. So I am fairly sure everything is swapped correctly but I am not getting spark. The dispay lights but thats it. I cant start with the kickstart either. Any ideas?

So no missed connections that I'm awair of, but I'm getting zero spark to the plugs and the starter relay doesnt click(been reading the manual)

Ok so electrical issue resolved it seems there was a negative lead missing from the starter button unit behnd the headlight, crossed it with another negative which i believe to be where the orig. one is missing form so now we are at least trying to start. I just put in new plugs and gapped for . 032 . She still wont turn over but I want to believe this to be a timing issue possibly having just put this motor in. compression seems really low in both cylinders but cycle shop said they tested before they gave it to me, i think my made in china tester may be fouled. Well what do I do now I can check timing because i have no light to do so, anything else coming to mind as to why she wont start?

My guess is posting quick replys does not bring this thread to the top of the update list but maybe this will, if you hadnt read latley there are issue taken care of and more created but until I resolve here are some pics.
My sexy new engine and a pool noodle.
IMG_20120817_111548.jpg

My bike feeling rather vulnerable, in my sexy transparent garage.
IMG_20120821_191701.jpg

Here is my baby with her parts being stored on her because there is nowhere else to put them.:D
IMG_20120825_113127.jpg

And while in Wisc. picking up the engine the family and I went to the Harley Davidson museum, where I got to see the most awesome shop ever with rakcs of vintage harleys waiting for rebuild, however those pics are on the other camera, but heres a great statue.
IMG_20120817_144448-1.jpg
:yikes:

WOW! Been a while but I have been doing alot of homework..for school. however I've had time to become frustrated with my bike again. So I need help..again. Got the bike running on both cylinders i believe. Little carb cleaning and what not. I do need to know what are syptoms I'll experience with the pod filters and shorties on the exhaust. Right not she wont run unless i have the choked pulled at least half way out I have my jets..at I think 4 turns right now because well three wouldnt run. At 4 turns it will run without the choke but the rpms are barley 1k. with the choke fully out it shoots to 3k or more. half choked runs ok ir i plug the hose coming from my right carb boot. which i've read should stay plugged. So you know my pod filters are not directly on the carb they are 48 mm and are perfect fit for the OE filter hose. So this may be all because of needing to upgrade my mains and jets (jetting?). Here are some pics of my plugs which I believe the left is fouled not sure why or how, and I think the right may be ok. I finished runnig the engine and checked the oil, and theres a milky residue, white/grayish. So tom. I will change the oil and try to scrap together a manometer to try and balance the carbs but could I get an opinion on the current symptoms. Does the half pulled choke mean I need the bigger jets? I pull on the throttle while rpms were lower and she just dies. So much to this sorry.
IMG_20121008_152916.jpg
IMG_20121008_153247.jpg
IMG_20121008_152956.jpg
IMG_20121005_171403.jpg
OH and trying to put this giant hyabusa tailight on, does anyoe know if it will need those relays, or whatever because its LED?

WOW! Been a while but I have been doing alot of homework..for school..... Does the half pulled choke mean I need the bigger jets? I pull on the throttle while rpms were lower and she just dies...
Hey welcome back - glad you're not letting those grades slip. :thumbsup:
Based on 2nd-hand knowledge from all my readings, it seems to me if it doesn't run perfect then either the boots connecting the filters are leaking air, or the carbs are not clean yet. On the chance it could be the latter, you might want to consider ruling out the first thing first - before you break out the pot of boiling lemon juice.
Apparently this is done by spraying carb cleaner or propane on them while the bike runs. If they leak, they will suck some in and the engine will run differently.
If it turns out not to be a leak and it is the carbs and not the tubes, then until you get the carbs clean, all the other stuff, time and effort will be for naught.
This thread has other folks going through a similar exercise to diagnose and solve: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=airbox
Good luck.

Thanks, I got physics exam tomorrow so I'll check this out thursday or friday. What would happen if I sprayed some starter fluid would it burst into flames. The carb holders do appear cracked and worn, my old engine is still lying of to the side, and it has great conditioned carb holders so I may just switch them out. Will new gaskets be required for this? I'll update all in a few days. Thanks again.

... What would happen if I sprayed some starter fluid ...
... Will new gaskets be required ...
I think the test is best done with an aerosol like carb cleaner or an outright gas like propane - not sure a liquid would work. And you wouldn't want a spark.
Glad xsChris answered, my second hand knowledge can be limited - didn't even know there were gaskets on them. :shrug:
Good luck on the physics. E=mc² (more 2nd hand knowledge I try to pass on). :wink2:

So I changed out the carb holders a while ago now, stil having a few issues.
1. I had her running but only with choke on
2. she ran crappy on left if at all and good on right, left spark plug is dry carbon fouled
3.turned the screw attached to the throttle and spring setup(thought this was the throttle screw) and it ran better on left but still only on choke.
4.Both copper screws on engine side of carb at the top are about 5 turns out now just kept turning.
overall she still wont run without choke, I believe i read here that it bypasses a fuel port, so does this mean my carbs still probably arent clean enough? I can only hope its that simple, with the pods and shorty exhaust i thought there were only to be issues in powere distribution through the rpm ranges. Today was probably the last nice day for weeks maybe months, 75 and cloudy, just perfect for a cool dry day to ride, and I'm doing homework staring at her from the window:( depressing. its going to hit the 40-s and 50s for the next 4 days and rain, and with no garage maint. is just hell. O well any advice is as always much appreciated.

Have you synced the carbs yet? Also did you replace the rubber plugs that go over the pilot jets with new ones if they don't make a good seal you will suck to much gas in. Five turn out is out to far four should be the max on these. What is the compression on both pistons? Should be between 125-150

no i havent done the carb syn yet ,I was trying to follow the guide on tech page and get a steady idle first. I dont think i ever replaced the plugs, just used the old ones. I'm going to disassemble tom and start over, and see. curious one carb has a different size spring on the pilot screw. and this pilot screw is the one that should be three full turns out right? just found a diagram for a better understanding of what im doing.

The springs should be the same. How do the screws look are the o-rings for them good?

Back