What just happened, one cylinder?

Part of me is excited for you - you always remember your first tear down...

It sucks not riding, but sometimes wrenching can be almost as much fun. And then riding afterwards is like nothing else, cause you know you did all the work yourself!

I kind of envy you too. The first tear down, everything is someone elses fault.

The second one, all the wrong things are YOUR Fault! LOL.

Enjoy the journey. It will be a lot of learning and fun. Take breaks, sleep on it if you're stuck, get rest.

Drewcifer

well removed head today, but that is as far as i got for today, real mess in there.:doh:
SAM_0761.jpg

SAM_0763.jpg

SAM_0764.jpg

SAM_0767.jpg

when i turne the exhaust over a bunch of metal chunks came out. I dropped one washer from the head bolts into the came chain space. I'm guessing I'll be taking apart my crank case anyway however with all this missing metal. What are your thoughts on the rebuild?
I say so far I need a new head to valves and a new piston.

SAM_0767-1.jpg

SAM_0763-1.jpg

SAM_0762-1.jpg
these should be better, if there are anymore pics you'd like to check out let me know. Gonna remove the block today I think.

Last edited:
Drewpy was right. Holed Cylinder! OUCH! That sucks monkey nuts.

Luckily these engines and parts are plentiful.

Re the washer in the lower end. See if a magnet can fetch it out. if not then remove the oil tray and mesh screen and reach up in to see if the magnet can reach it there.

Drewcifer

Little liquid wrench got the block off in 20min, but really not wanting to open up a crank case, will I be able to just flush it. @drewcifer I tried the magnet from the top with no luck I'll give it a go from below.:thumbsup:
more pics
SAM_0770.jpg

SAM_0769.jpg

SAM_0774.jpg

SAM_0779.jpg

SAM_0780.jpg

cylinders dont appear to have any scratches, right piston seems fine, thats all I can tell. Oh and that valve is missing completley

you'll have to split the cases, its too risky with all that alloy that will have found its way through the piston.

I reckon the valve head snapped off and then forced its way through the piston head, that valve must be in there somewhere

so question would it be easier to replace the entire top end/engine seeing as i have no clue why the valve pushed its way through the piston in the first place?

I posted a thread about a shop in wisconsin that started specializing in cafe racers, well they have this engine for sale on ebay. Would it fit the 1980 xs400 special?
The ebay engine is a DOHC from a Seca or a Maxim. I believe that they fit different in that the engine is an integral part of the frame instead of sitting in a frame like the SOHC models.
I think any 400 SOHC could be swapped for another though, but wait for confirmation on that from someone who has worked on the SOHC.

So if I replace the entire head and its internals(valves etc.), + the piston + clean out the crank replace gaskets and seals should I be fairley set minus timing issues and fine tuning.

Back