What kind of xs400 it is?

trzcina2

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!

This is my first post, so please forgive me for any mistakes with categories.

I'm looking for cheap xs400 intended to cafe-racer modification. My plan is to disassemble it to the last screw and put it all together with attention to every single detail.

To the point:

I found quite cheap bike in really bad shape - which is perfect for me ;), however there are few things that bother me about it:

1. Owner claims that is 1980's 2a2 model with sports camshaft which give it 38 HP.
Is this kind of power even possible?

2. I'm pretty sure that tank is from SE edition not 2a2 version. Am i right?

Could someone help me with identification of this bike? Is it really 2a2 or maybe this is SE modified in some weird kind of way...

Additional question:

If it is the SE it possible to fit tank from 80's 2a2?

I'll be grateful for any help!!

Cheers!

Attachments

• M3645947_1.jpg
    M3645947_1.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 407
  • M3645947_2.jpg
    M3645947_2.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 401
  • M3645947_8.jpg
    M3645947_8.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 348
Since you're in Poland, i don't know if this is much help, but according to this post for US models, a 2A2 is a 1977 model.

If you can take a look at the VIN (on the stem), you should be able to get some information that might help with your identification.

thanks! I'll ask for vin number. I have found some information on german site xs400.net and according to that there was 80's 2A2, however it still dont look as this one on my first post...

Welcome Trzcina! I have a bike from Germany...the VIN code on the frame and engine begins with 2A2...and is from 1980 (or 79). But my tank is different.
Greetings from Czech Republic:thumbsup:

P.S: bike looks little bit modified...so it could be 2A2 model but with different tank...

... Owner claims that is 1980's 2a2 model with sports camshaft which give it 38 HP.
Is this kind of power even possible? ...
Cześć Trzcina, dzień dobry. I have heard rumours of a sohc with a "hot cam" but I have never seen it documented or confirmed on here.

A little while ago, we did have a thread about xs400 horsepower and came up with, I think, 3 different numbers from 3 or 4 different sources. Not to mention there is the dohc with a different number to add to the confusion. It was thought that one of the low numbers was for the European restricted learners' version - but this was accomplished with an airflow restrictor plate not with a "cold" cam.

Maybe what you have is simply an unrestricted Eurpopean version and the story of the hot cam is merely an urban legend. :shrug:

Last edited:
Hello again, Dzień dobry :)!

I decided to buy the bike and i'm receiving it in Saturday!

This bike with 38 hp seems to be very rare version on European market, because all the others have 27 hp -(I found some information on Polish forum, that this is regulated by camshaft). I think it is worth attention, but we will see in Saturday.

When it finally arrives, I'll start new topic to keep you guys updated on my restoration process!

I can't wait!

Cheers and greetings from Poland!

PS. LuckyEight: I spend 3 months in Czech Republic and was having great time ;) (lot of beer.... )!

My bike serial starts with 2L0 and is a '78 E model. From the looks of things our bikes are very similar. I would guess you are sporting a '78 or even '77. Im all the way across the pond in Canada so im not sure how the serial numbers would co-relate.

Who knows maybe they just threw an upgraded sprocket on there with more teeth to change some gear ratios giving it the feel of more torque. I would think its alot of trouble to go through to find out it may or may not be modded.

Hi!

With time i figured out, that this bike is 80's model like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7a/Yamaha_XS_400.jpg

BUT with tank taken from xs 400 SE...

Unfortunately i had to buy another frame because of some serious damage to this one, so from this bike i got engine in quite good condition, wheels and other parts besides tank which i also had to buy separately.

With a drum mag on the back it's an 80+ because they where not made until then:)

Back