What part(s) am I missing here?

HohenHeizen

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I went to pick up my bike from a place it has been stranded at for some time and was out of gas. As anyone would I added gas to the tank, then I noticed a nice little stream coming out from beneath the tank. At first, as I mentioned in a classified posts, I thought it was the carb (I'm new to motorcycle mechanics) but after some digging I realized I was wrong. The gas was coming out of the carbs and needed to go elsewhere.. which was a big gaping hole.

Now I've gone through the manuals and I'v seen pictures of what I think is the missing part but I still have no idea what it is so I don't know what to purchase. I hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Attachments

• hsmknl.jpg
    hsmknl.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 246
those need overhauling mate. the floats are either punctured, incorrectly adjusted or the float needle is worn. either way they need pulling

Alright, thanks for the advice.

I should have clarified, or drawn on the picture, I'm trying to find out what part goes behind the carbs.

I bought the bike a few weeks ago but it didn't have a kick start, broke off, but they popped the clutch and got it running. Being new to riding I didn't want to brave the journey home relying on popping the clutch, should have though. Recently I went to pick it up, kickstart in hand, and when I refilled the tank I noticed the leak and the big gaping hole where something should go. There are 3(?) hoses going to the area, one is blocked off by a bolt. I'm trying to find out what is supposed to go in the hole.

The bike was cheap so I expected problems, just trying to get a complete parts list before I start fixing it.

all i can see what is missing is the air filter intake, it also connect to the crankcase breather tube in the middle.

check out bike bandit as they have parts list online

drewps

You don't have any intake rubber joints,that connect the carbs to the airbox.When the gas doesn't cut off,you need to fix or replace the petcock. lha

The petcock should have 3 positions. "On", "Pri" and "Res", I think. "On" and "Res" are vacuum-operated. In these positions, fuel should only pass the petcock when the engine is running or you try to start it. There should be a hose from the petcock to one of the rubber joints that connect the carbs to the cylinder. When the according piston moves down in the cylinder, it creates a vacuum which not only sucks in air and gas but also opens up the petcock (it has a membrane in it). "Pri" will bypass the membrane and have the fuel constantly flowing without a vacuum.

If the petcock is ok and the fuel keeps dripping out of the carbs (I assume you just dismantled the fuel chambers on the carbs), next thing to do is to adjust the floats. If you don't and you just mount the bridge between carbs and airboxes, the fuel will just leak out of the airboxes instead.

94133ab451430be329379e8d6e25188c.jpg

Back