What should I look for for a cruiser?

markjs

XS400 owner, bike lover
Reaction score
I love my XS but I probably need something bigger for long trips. I'd like to go with a thumper but it has to be old enough I can pick one up cheap, and it has to be able to go long miles at high speed (cruise comfortably at 80 and get up to 100 if need be). I don't know of many big thumpers with the gearing to achieve this, but I have very little experience with any at all, the biggest being an old Suzuki DR370. I am not dead set on a single cylinder bike but I very much like the simplicity of it, they sound great with the right pipes and I think look cool too. I am open to twin and 4 cylinder suggestions too, essentially the requirements beyond what was already stated is just affordability, preferably not a rare bike, and at least 500cc and no more than 1000cc. Plus I am interested in hearing about your old rides that fit my criteria, thanks in advance!

Oh crap, I nearly forgot to mention, I already have a #1 desired bike and much as I bitch about Yamaha being rarer than Honda it's this sweet sweet bike (too bad it's probably too collectible for me to afford):

xs650-special.jpg

I would think any model as for Jap bikes in 650-850 size would give you what your looking for in a bike.Myself I would like a bike thats a bit bigger and no so light also unfortunately the affordability at this time isnt there.So Im stuck with my XS400.Me and mrs have already had this disscusion and shes in agreement could she would also like to ride with me but not actualy drive another bike.There is an option I have,Its this 96 Jimmy blazer project thats been a PIA I could try and selll then use the $ I for that to get a better and bigger bike.

Beamers definately make some awesome cruisers.They ride super smooth also.I used to know somebody who had one when i was younger in my early teens.I remember doing alot of back seat riding on it.

Back