What the hell are these, and do they go to my charging system!

400BOBBER

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Tried my hand at rewiring my bike, and thought I had everything worked out, while removing what seemed to be needless items! Well! After wrapping everything up, had to jump the bike to start it, and now it won't charge itself, and will not stay running unless I am into the throttle a bunch! PLease tell me that these are the reason, or did I just mess up the wiring somehow??? Any help!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a friendly heads up! I used the wiring diagram from the wiring thread that is written in German! Did everything to the T with those schematics, minus these three parts! PLease tell me I this is the fix, or I just messed the wiring up!

Attachments

• DSCN2421.jpg
    DSCN2421.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 264
  • DSCN2422.jpg
    DSCN2422.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN2423.jpg
    DSCN2423.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN2424.jpg
    DSCN2424.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 243
The first two are your safety switches. Specifically your kickstand safety switch (which keeps you from going places with your kickstand down) and your starter safety switch (which keeps you from starting in first gear). Not sure about the 3rd and 4th photos...

Yeah! All I can think that they are, based on wire colors, is turn signal relay of sorts! I don't have turn signals, and not too worried about the other relays either, so those aren't my problems! Thanks for that info fellas!

Well! I have actually taken all of the wiring back off, and going item by item! I am using the bare bones xj wiring from the wiring thread, as I don't have all the turn signals, horns, electric start, and other none sense! So my question now! I have two connectors coming from the stator alternator area! One is the three whites from the alternator. The other I assume contains my brush wires! It has two wires not covered in anything but rubber, yellow and blue! Assuming that these oil and neutral indicators respectively! The other two are green and what appears to be black. They are both cloth covered! I have a regulator with three wires! I know from the diagram that green goes to green, but the other two wires are getting me! One is black, one brown or chocolate! Need to know which one goes where?????

I think the third is the turn signal self cancelling unit.

correct Mr Drew and the 4th poss a headlamp relay (we don't have them here, as we have lamp switches)

charging issues are usually down to battery or voltage regulator (the green and black wires from field coil BTW)

rectifier has 3 white wires from stator.

I figured as much! The 4th pic was just the end view of 3rd pic! It is same item! Figured the morkings would help! But fixed that issue! Aside from those items, I managed to get rid of a capacitor that was spliced into one of the alternator wires! I don't know what significance this held, seeing how the cap was spliced in by PO! I have everything hooked up now and the bike seems to be running fine on it's own, something it wasn't doing yesterday! Let me finish zipties and all and I will get back to you all on the final verdict!

Thanks for all the help gents!

Well! Such is my luck! I have it running, will idle and run up through the rpm's just fine! Have to start it using a jump battery though! And once it runs, shuts off, won't hold charge to start again! No dice! Just goes dim and quits on me!

ANY IDEAS????????????? I am at wits end here with this thing!

yeah follow the 3 white wires and the brown and green wires comin out of the stator on the left. you must have your reg/rect now hooked up correctly

Yeah, man. If there's one thing we kick ass at on this forum its charging system trouble shooting. We have had like 4 or 5 wins in the last month alone. You'll be up and running in no time flat. Search in garage for charging system and you'll see em all.

Back